Saturday, August 31, 2013

Contentment

How are you doing in the contentment department?  Is it a chore dealing with the issues that arise because of your circumstances?  It's hard to be content when things are not going well.  We always wish that things were different...a better job, nicer home, more money, prettier clothes, more understanding friends, a more loving spouse.  Most of the time change is hard or impossible and we grumble and complain about our situations.

In 2 Kings chapter 5 we find the story of Naaman the leper.  I'm sure that we are all familiar with the story but in case you're not let me give you a quick rundown of what happen to Naaman.  He was the Captain in the Army of Syria, an enemy of Israel.  It says that he was a great man but that he was a leper.  Having heard of a servant of God in Israel that could heal him, Naaman departed seeking his help.  God sent His servant Elisha to tell Naaman to go and wash in the River Jordan seven times and he would be cured.  In verse 14 of chapter 5 it says;

"Then went he down, and dipped himself seven times in Jordan, according to the saying of the man of God:  and his flesh came again like unto the flesh of a little child, and he was clean."

This indeed was a mighty miracle.  However I really don't want to look at Naaman today but at someone that seems to be often overlooked in this story.  Really, without this person, this miracle wouldn't even have taken place.

2 Kings 5:2 "And the Syrians had gone out by companies, and had brought away captive out of the land of Israel a little maid;  and she waited on Naaman's wife."

A young girl had been captured in a raid on Israel and was put to work in Naaman's house as a servant for his wife.  I've often thought about this little girl.  The Bible doesn't give her exact age or even her name, just that she was a young girl.  How frightened she must have been.  Captured and taken away from her family and all she had ever known, brought to a strange country and made to work for the wife of the man who had taken her to begin with.  I can't imagine how she felt.  Knowing she probably would never see her family again, would always be a slave...she had every right to be angry and bitter.  But was she?  I don't think she was!  Look at verse 3 and 4.

"And she said unto her mistress, Would God my lord were with the prophet that is in Samaria!
For he would recover him of his leprosy.  And one went in, and told his lord, saying, Thus and thus said the maid that is of the land of Israel."

Here we find this little girl, who humanly speaking had every right to be angry at her situation and the man that caused it, telling her mistress of one who could cure him!  She was showing love and compassion on her enemy.  What a witness she was for the Lord.  It says nothing further about this young girl, but how important she is!  Where the Lord had placed her, she was faithful and was an important key to the miracle that transpired. 

Where has the Lord placed you today?  Are you being a faithful servant for Him where you are?  Nothing happens by accident.  It was no accident that this particular maiden was captured and put to work in Naamans household.  It's no accident that you are where you are today.  God has work for you to do wherever you are...how's it going?  Are you bitter about the circumstances surrounding you, or can you see the Lord's hand in your situation?  Are you open to His leading to the hurting and needy around you, or are you closed off in self pity about your predicament?   

One person in the Bible that found himself in many perilous predicaments was the Apostle Paul.  He was shipwrecked 3 times, beaten, stoned, imprisoned, and often in danger as he journeyed.  Yet he remained a faithful servant of the Lords.  I believe we find an important reason for this faithfulness in 2 Corinthians 4:11.

"For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."

How could Paul be content in all the situations that he found himself in?  He could because he knew that it was God who had placed him there.  God had allowed all these things to happen to him, therefore he was content and able to serve his Savior no matter where he was or what was happening.  I believe this is a key to being a faithful servant of God.  How can we on one hand tell someone that they can trust God to save them and meet their needs if all they hear is us complaining about the situations we are in?

There is a reason behind everything that God allows into our lives.  Who are we to question God about what He knows is good for us...and profitable for others who are watching us.  Yes, we as Christians are being watched by the unsaved.  They notice our actions and reactions to things.  You've heard the saying, "Actions speak louder then words".  Are your actions lining up with the Word of God?  Are your reactions bringing glory to the Lord?

Proverbs 3:5-7  "Trust in the LORD will all thine heart:  and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.  Be not wise in thine own eyes:  fear the LORD, and depart from evil."

We won't always understand why God allows things to happen to us, and we don't have to.  We just have to trust that He knows what He is doing and remain content and faithful to Him, just like the little maiden did.

Isaiah 55:8 & 9  "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the LORD.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts."

I find contentment in my Saviors love,
And streams of mercy from His throne above.
Tho' storms assail me here below,
He gives me sunshine as I go;
I find a refuge from every sorrow in His blessed love!
 
I find contentment in His wondrous grace;
No cloud or shadow can obscure His face.
When great temptations I must bear
I find the secret place of prayer,
And strength He give by the pow'r sufficient in His wondrous grace!
 
I find contentment on the heav'nward way;
He gently leads me, so I do not stray.
He watches o'er me day and night,
By faith I follow not by sight;
I fully trust Him to me safely to my home above!
 
                          Merrill Dunlop





No comments:

Post a Comment