Friday, August 23, 2013

Lightening The Ship

There was a day a few years ago that I had reached the end of my endurance.  After 23 years of emotional, physical, sexual, financial and spiritual abuse I had nothing left.  It didn't matter anymore to me that I had two children that I had spent years protecting and loved more then life itself.  It didn't matter that I had family and friends who loved me.  I just needed the violence to stop...anyway that it could.  With three bottles of pills and a glass of water I went into a room and closed the door...then the phone rang.  It was my Pastor.

At this point he didn't really know what was going on, but he was aware that I was in a crisis of some kind.  He told me to read Acts 27.  This is a passage of Scripture that has become very precious and meaningful to me and I'd like to share with you something very special that I've learned from this story of the Apostle Paul being shipwrecked.

Acts 27:18  "And we being exceedingly tossed with a tempest, the next day they lightened the ship."

In the attempt to save the ship from sinking in this terrible storm they resorted to tossing overboard things that were weighing them down.

As I repeatedly read this passage the Lord began to make a comparison in my mind.  I began to see the ship as my life.  What was weighing me down and causing me to sink into trouble?
As I began to think on this I came up with quite a list of things that was causing me to become shipwrecked in my life;  bitterness, anger, fear, worry, rebellion, pride.  These had to be "thrown overboard" if I had any chance of surviving the storm.  As I continued to study this passage I came to verse 38b which says,

"...they lightened the ship..."

It was not a one time thing!  These things repeatedly needed to be cast overboard.  Satan is crafty and it doesn't take long for some of those things to sneak back on board, in fact they could be there once again for a while before you even see them!  This is why is it so very important to keep watch and make sure that your ship is not in trouble.

Psalms 107:28 - 30  "Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and He bringeth them out of their distresses.  He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.  Then are they glad because they be quiet;  so He bringeth them unto their desired haven."

When you turn control of your life (the ship) over to the Lord (the Captain) you have no need to fear any longer.  He will watch over you and bring you through the storms of life.

I'm Watching Over You

In the dark of the night
On the storm tossed sea,
Jesus whispers, "I'm with you,
Hold tight onto me.
For I made the winds,
And the waves of the deep;
You have no need to fear,
Just close your eyes and sleep.
For I'm watching over you,
I know the reason why;
You need to trust my judgement,
And on Me only rely.
My arms are around you,
I'm holding you up;
You're just following My steps,
And drinking from My cup.
These storms are to strengthen,
To show that I'm here;
Know that I'm with you,
There's no reason to fear.
For everything there's a season,
This will not last forever;
The end of this long night,
Will find you changed for the better.
So hold on to My hand,
And I will see you through;
Trust in My love,
Remember, I died for you." 

No comments:

Post a Comment