Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Minute Musings...Properly Seasoned

Have you ever spent time cooking a meal only to be disappointed in the taste because
you didn't properly season it?  Without proper seasoning food is bland and in some
cases downright disgusting!  A little salt, onion, garlic, oregano etc goes along way
to making a meal inviting to the palate.

Our words are the seasoning by which the hearer finds either delight or disgust
in the truth we are sharing with them.  Colossians 4:6 tells us, "Let your speech be
always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer
every man."  No one responds well to the truth being rammed down their throats!
However a loving, compassionate approach to a situation, coupled with kindness
in our words, can make a world of difference in how what we say is accepted by the
listener.

The Old Testament book of Proverbs is full of admonition about our speech.  Here
are just a few verses.

Proverbs 15:4  "A wholesome tongue is a tree of life:  but perverseness therein
is a breach in the spirit."

Proverbs 16:24  "Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and
health to the bones."

Proverbs 25:11  "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver."

How are you seasoning your speech today?  If anger, frustration, impatience, hate,
indifference and malice are what the hearer is tasting in your words, what you have
to say will be ignored.  Truth coupled only with love, compassion, patience, and
kindness, will be able to penetrate the heart of the listener.  When our lives are hid
in Christ Jesus. led by His Spirit, our speech will by the vehicle by which God uses
to reach others through us!   If you seem to be getting no where with someone, take
the time to check your seasonings!

Psalms 19:14  "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart, be
acceptable in Thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer."

The Beauty Of Jesus
 
Let the beauty of Jesus be seen in me,
All His wonderful passion and purity;
O Thou Spirit divine, may I truly be Thine,
Till the beauty of Jesus be seen in me.
 
Let my wonderful Savior be seen in me,
His amazing compassion and constancy;
His great love is my goal, by His Spirit's control,
Till my wonderful Savior be seen in me.
 
Let the fruit of the Spirit be seen in me,
Grant me grace all sufficient that I may be;
True and faithful each day, every step of the way,
Pointing souls to the Savior on Calvary.
 
                                                             Tom M. Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment