Thursday, July 31, 2014

Minute Musings...Don't Trust Your Heart!

Jeremiah 17:9  "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked:
who can know it?"

There is a popular saying today, in fact I see it and its variations on Facebook and 
Pintrest a great deal... "Just follow your heart."  On the surface this would seem to
be a nice, sentimental piece of advice, but lets dig a little deeper.  The Bible states that
the heart is deceitful and desperately wicked.  Why would we want to follow something
that has these characteristics? 

The Lord Jesus had this to say about the heart of man in Mark 7:21 - 23  "For from
within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications,
murders, thefts, covetousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:  All
these evil things come from within, and defile the man."

Man's old sinful nature does not produce anything that would be advantages to ones
life.  So why would we want to follow our hearts.  They will only lead us down the
path to destruction and ruin.  We should only desire to follow the Lord Jesus Christ.

It will cost you to be a follower of Jesus Christ.  It will cost you friends and family.
Not everyone will understand your desire to follow the Lord, and there will be back-
lash because of it.  However, following the Lord will bring you joy unspeakable, peace
beyond understanding and a steadfastness that defies everything that mankind believes.
The end result is a close relationship with the One who lived for you, died for you, and
rose victoriously from the grave for you!

Don't follow your heart, follow the One who can cleanse your heart and make it whiter
than snow.  Psalms 51:10  "Create in me a clean heart O God:  and renew a right
spirit within me."

I Will Follow
 
I will follow Thee, my Savior,
Where'er the pathway may go;
Thru' the storm or thru' the valley,
Or thru' great trials so low.
 
I rest in Thee, trust in Thee,
I place my life in Thy hands.
I will follow Thee, my Savior,
Lead on, my Shepherd, lead on.
 
                                    Mac Lynch

1 comment:

  1. Interesting, I have never heard it put quiet like that, good food for thought!!!

    ReplyDelete