Thursday, April 9, 2015

Minute Musings... Set Your Heart

1 Chronicles 22:19a  "Now set your heart and your soul to seek the LORD your
God;" 

This exhortation is given by King David before his death to all the princes of Israel,
whom he had commanded to help Solomon his son.  Why would David have to
remind them of this?  If you are familiar at all with the history of the nation of
Israel in the Old Testament, you will remember that all too often they forgot all that
God had done for them, and they left following Him and instead followed after the
idols of the nations around them.  Unfortunately we read these words many times in
reference to Israel, 1 Chronicles 5:25  "And they (Israel) transgressed against
the God of their fathers, and went a whoring after the gods of the people of the
land, whom God destroyed before them."

Before we throw the proverbial stone at Israel for their sin, lets take a look at our-
selves.  Have we transgressed against God, and gone a whoring after the gods of
this world?  I'm sad to say that we must answer yes to this question, if we are to be
honest!  As stated in an earlier devotional, an idol is anything that we give more
importance too in our lives than God.  How long is your list of things?  Prestige, job,
money, education, looks, popularity, fame, family, possessions...and on and on it goes.

There are some who give place to the devil and try to live as though they love God.
It might fool people for a while, but it doesn't fool God.  He knows whose heart is
His and whose heart has gone after other gods.  It tells us in Jeremiah 17:10a,
"I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins,"  We can't fool God.  We have to
guard our hearts, Proverbs 4:23 "Keep thy heart with all diligence;  for out of it
are the issues of life." 

There is always much talk about our heart health now a days.  Regular check-ups
include making sure that there is nothing wrong with our hearts.  If something is
found, immediate action is taken to rectify the problem before it further damages
our health.  How is your spiritual heart health today?  Is your heart healthy and
following after the Lord your God.  Or have problems been detected which must
be addressed immediately before your spiritual health is weakened and you become
sick.  There is a very simple remedy for heart problems, Psalms 51:7 &10  "Purge
me with hyssop, and I shall be clean:  wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Create in me a clean heart, O God:  and renew a right spirit within me."

Is your heart set to seek after the LORD your God?  If not, apply the remedy and
start living with a healthy heart today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fVliokreqE

Create In Me A Clean Heart
 
I came to the Lord with my heart full of sin,
Empty of purpose and troubled within.
My flesh had the victory, my heart sought release,
Lord, wilt Thou cleanse me and grant me Thy peace?
 
I cried to the Savior, "Forgive me, I pray."
He granted cleansing and sins fell away.
My bondage was ended, my heart was set free;
Lord, nevermore may I wander from Thee.
 
Create in me a clean heart, my Father;
Renew a right spirit in me.
Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation;
May Christ be seen in me.
 
                                                  Mac Lynch 

No comments:

Post a Comment