Friday, April 17, 2015

Minute Musings...Broken Crayons

One of my favorite things to do as a child was to color, in fact if the truth were to be
told...I still do!  I always felt a twinge of excitement when I'd open up a box of new
crayons.  Somehow the pictures always seemed to turn out a little better when I used
brand new crayons.  However in reality, the crayons still left the same marks on the
page, whether they were new or old.  But to our human minds, nothing is better than
new.  Then I grew up, and all of a sudden found myself having this same argument with
my children.   When the crayons became broken, in their little minds it was time to throw
them out, they were no good anymore.  No matter how much I tried to explain, and show
them, the crayons got tossed aside.  I'm sure you are all too familiar with that discarded 
container of broken crayons, that sits on a shelf, forgotten. 


Do you realize that this is how from our limited human minds we view lives.  We see
broken humanity as a life passed its usefulness.  Sin has corrupted and there is nothing
good left.  What a blessing it is to know that God does not view our lives in this fashion.

2 Corinthians 5:17  "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature:  old
things are passed away;  behold, all things are become new."

There are many of you today who feel that you are no good, there is no way in your mind
that God could ever accept you.  You feel cast aside, discarded and forgotten.  May I tell
you that this is a good way to feel!  You might be surprised that I say this, but one cannot
come to God unless they recognize their brokenness before Him.  It tells us this in Psalms
51:17,  "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit:  a broken and a contrite heart, O
God, Thou will not despise."

When we approach God Almighty, it must be with brokenness of spirit and heart.  God
will reject any attempt at approaching Him in our perceived righteousness.  Isaiah 64:6
"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags;
and we all do fade as a leaf;  and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away."

When we acknowledge our brokenness before a Holy and righteous God, we are essentially
saying, "Only You can restore me to a state of usefulness;  only You can reverse my souls
brokenness."  I'm sure that you've all seen broken crayons melted down, molded, and placed
back with the other useful crayons.  This is what God does to us.  He melts us, remakes us,
and places us back into useful service for Him!  Our brokenness is the first step of a dedicated,
surrendered life in Christ Jesus!  Malachi 3:3  "And He (God) shall sit as a refiner and
purifier of silver;  and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the
LORD an offering in righteousness." 

Don't fret if you find yourself in the refiners fire.  You might feel that you are passed the
point of God ever being able to use you.  But the only way to be of use to God is through
the brokenness that we lay at His feet.  God's glory shines through our brokenness! 

Start viewing things from the Lords perspective.  Brokenness is a good thing!  Psalms
38:18  "For I will declare mine iniquity:  I will be sorry for my sin."  God is melting
you, remaking you and will place you back into a place of productive service for the King.  Remember, broken crayons can still color!





1 comment:

  1. I remember too when I was very excited at the thought of a new box of crayons, it truly was a blessing, it is amazing now to remember back to those days!!

    ReplyDelete