Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Gods Sandpaper

Do you ever wonder why hard things happen to you as a child of God?  There is a very good
reason!  It's to make us more Christ-like, to take off the rough edges, to refine and purify us,
so that when someone looks at us, they only see Christ.  The trials and testings of life have
an important work.  Do you complain when things happen?  Do you hold a pity-party to
bewail your fate once again? Or do you look at each trial as God's loving hand in your life,
making you more like Him?

I had surgery on my back nearly a year ago.  Last week the incision site broke open again and
now my back is infected for the fourth time.  How did I greet this news?  Well, I'd like to say that
I showed the spiritual maturity to recognize God's hand at work in my life again...but that's not
the case.  I was on my way to a walloping good pity-party before I felt God nudge me about my
attitude.  When we see God's hand of love working on us, it changes our whole outlook.

Psalms 116:17  "I will offer to Thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the
name of the LORD."

What God allows in His wisdom, I need to have a thankful heart for.  He doesn't allow anything
that isn't for my good and His glory.  It's hard some days to keep in this mindset, but when you
give thanks, you aren't complaining...you choose what you give back to the Lord, a sacrifice of
thanksgiving for His goodness in giving you what is best;  or a bitter and complaining attitude,
which brings shame on His name.

There are many things that God uses to make us more Christ-like.  There's health problems;
financial difficulties;  problems with people, like co-workers, family or friends;   the loss of
loved ones;  the list could be very lengthy because everything in our lives is orchestrated by
God for our good.

2 Corinthians 12:7 - 9  "And lest I should be exalted above measure through the
abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger
of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.  For this thing I besought
the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.  And He said unto me, My grace is
sufficient for thee:  for My strength is made perfect in weakness,  Most gladly therefore
will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

The Apostle Paul had a physical problem that he wanted the Lord to rid him of.  But God
knew that this problem was for Paul's good.  Paul came to see this and was able to say that
he would rather have the infirmity so that the power of Christ would rest on him.  What Paul
did in his ministry was not done in his strength, but through the power of the Lord being
made manifest in his life.  What a tremendous testimony this was to those that came into
contact with Paul, to see the Lord providing the strength that he needed!

What a wonderful example to those of us that struggle with physical problems.  Are we
thanking God for these physical problems because of the avenue of blessing they can become
in our lives if we choose to see the mighty hand of God at work in us?  We choose whether or
not we allow God's sandpaper to bring out His beauty in us.

I don't think there is a more emotional trial to deal with then problems with people, especially
those of our own families or close friends.  When we decide to stand for Jesus and the truth of
His Holy Word we will see the claws come out on people that were ever only kind to us before.
Walking the narrow way of the Bible will make enemies.  The world hates Jesus, therefore it
stands to reason that it will hate those that follow closely after their Lord. 

Matthew 10:34 - 36  "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth:  I came not to
send peace, but a sword.  For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and
the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household."

Don't ever think that the Gospel of Christ does not divide, because it most certainly does.
Thankfully here in this country we don't have the outright persecution that is found in some
other countries.  We are not maimed and killed for our obedience to the Lord.  We will
probably be considered that "strange relation that takes religion too far."  We might be
made fun of, or laughed at.  Some might even be cut off from family for their relationship
with Christ.  This sandpaper hurts.  But if God permits this to happen to you, then it's for
your good.  He will give you the strength needed to walk this lonely road.  We have His
blessed promise in Psalms 27:10;

"When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up."

What about the people who will blast you for your stand for the Lord?  I had this happen
this week.  The truth is, it hurts to be treated like this.  But was Jesus treated any differently
for what He said?  We must not let the hurtful things from others deter us from following
the Lord and the truth of His Word. 

We look at the life of Job.  Here was a man who was tried like no other.  He suffered the
loss of his family, home, wealth and health all in one day.  God allowed this suffering for
the simple purpose of the testimony that Job would be during all this heartache.  Job said
the following in Job 1:21;

"...Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither:  the
LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away:  blessed be the name of the LORD."

Do we have that wonderful testimony in the face of adversities and trials, "Blessed be the
name of the LORD."  If we don't then we'd better get on our faces before the Lord and
make our hearts right.  If we call ourselves a child of God and yet bewail the moving
of God in our lives, we have a definite spiritual problem.  We need to maintain a spirit
of sweet surrender and praise to our loving Heavenly Father for all things that He permits
in to our lives.  If God's sandpaper is getting worn down on you, that's a good thing!
His beauty is becoming evident in your life...what a blessing!

Psalms 145:17  "The LORD is righteous in all His ways, and holy in all His works."

 
 
O Lord, Thou art my King,
And who am I to question Thy way?
Whatever the loss, whatever the cost,
Draw me closer to Thee every day.
 
O Lord, Thou art my life,
And who am I to understand why
You died on a tree for a sinner like me?
Lord, to self make me willing to die.
 
O Lord, Thou art my all,
And who am I to walk without Thee?
My sin I forsake, Thy cross I will take,
Now Thy servant, dear Lord, make of me.
 
He knoweth the way that I take;
A new heart within He'll create.
That I may walk worthy and come forth as gold,
He giveth and taketh away.
 
                                                    Mac Lynch


No comments:

Post a Comment