Saturday, October 19, 2013

What's In A Name

Have you ever heard the saying, "A rose by any other name would smell just a sweet?"  I've
been thinking about this and I started imagining other things by other names.  For instance
just switching the names of some animals would sound...well you decide!  Puppy - dung beetle; 
kitten - porcupine;  bunny - alligator...you get the picture!  I can't imagine snuggling up to
something that would be called a dung beetle...Yuck!  Everything has the name that was
intended for them to have.

In Acts chapter 11 we find the first mention of the name "Christian."

Acts 11:26b  "And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch."

The name "Christian" means "Christ-like."  What an appropriate name for the followers
of the Lord Jesus Christ.  These disciples' actions were so conformed to their Savior that
they were given a name that associated them with Him

The name "Christian" carries with it the history of the early church.  The blood of the
martyrs from every century saturates the name "Christian."  From the death of the first
martyr Stephen, recorded in Acts chapter 7 verses 54 - 60, to those today killed in cold
blood for receiving Christ as their Savior and joining the ranks of being a Christian.

Hebrews 1137 & 38a  "They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted,
were slain with the sword:  they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins:
being destitute, afflicted, tormented:  Of whom the world was not worthy."

Why are people so dedicated to being a Christian that they would be willing to die?  They
are not dying for a name, but for the person the name represents, Christ.  Being a
Christian is something that should be taken seriously, it's a privilege to be called a
Christian.  If being a Christians means that we are Christ like, then what was Christ like?

Jesus Christ was a man of gracious speech.

Luke 4:22  "And all bare Him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which
proceeded out of His mouth.  And they said, Is not this Joseph's son?"

Jesus spoke the truth with a graciousness that attracted the people.  The truth was
spoken in love.  Are we known for being gracious in our speech?  Or do we try to
hammer the truth home without regard to how we sound and how we make the other
person feel?  There is truth to the saying that you can attract more flies with honey!

Jesus Christ was a man of compassion.

Mark 1:41a  "And Jesus, moved with compassion,"

Matthew 20:34a  "So Jesus had compassion on them,"

Matthew 9:36a  "But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion
on them,"

We touched on compassion in a previous devotional, but it bears repeating here.  True
compassion for others can only come through the one who is trusting in Christ.  Jesus
had true compassion on others and if we claim to be a Christian we should have a
compassionate heart towards others as well.

Jesus Christ was the Light of the World.

John 9:5  "As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world."

Matthew 5:16  "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good
works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

Our light in this wicked world is a reflection of His light.  Our light should point men to
the Savior.  Is your light clean and shining brightly, or is it dirty and barely flickering?
If we are Christians and being Christ-like, our lights should be beaming forth the
message of salvation and love to all around.

Jesus Christ was love personified.

1 John 4:8 - 11  "He that loveth not knoweth not God;  for God is love.  In this was
manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent His only begotten Son
into the world, that we might live through Him.  Herein is love, not that we loved
God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another."

God's love is unconditional, can we say the same thing?  Unfortunately we love those
who love us;  but God commands that we also love the unlovable.  Did we love God
when He first loved us?  No, we were His enemies.  Being a Christian means that we
are people that show love to all.  We don't love the sin, but we love the sinner.

Jesus Christ was holy.

1 Peter 1:15 & 16  "But as He which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all
manner of conversation (living), because it is written, Be ye holy;  for I am holy."

Our lives should ooze holiness.  Our actions, speech, thoughts should all come from
the root of holiness.  We are commanded to be holy.  We cannot do this is our own
strength, true holiness can only come through the holy One Himself.  He lives through
us.  Are we holy in our dealings with others?  Our lives will be different from the world
when we live holy.

This is just a drop in the bucket of what is wrapped up in the name of "Christian."  The
world throws this name around carelessly, and now a days everyone claims to be a
Christian.  But it is only repentant, blood bought people who have the right to carry
this name.

Matthew 7:20 - 23  "Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.  Not every one
that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the Kingdom of heaven:  but he
that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.  Many will say to me in that
day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name?  And in Thy name have
cast out devils?  And in Thy name done many wonderful works?  And then will
I profess unto them, I never knew you:  depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

Don't call yourself a Christian if you aren't willing to live the Christian life.  The
Christian life is a life dedicated to our Savior, doing His will, living His way and
glorifying His name, "Of whom the world was not worthy."

I'll tell the world, that I'm a Christian,
I'm not ashamed, His name to bear;
I'll tell the world, that I'm a Christian,
I'll take Him with me anywhere.
 
I'll tell the world, that He's my Savior,
No other one, could love me so;
My life, my all, is His forever,
And where He leads me I will go.
 
I'll tell the world how Jesus saved me,
And how He gave me a life brand new;
And I know that if you trust Him
That all He gave me, He'll give to you,
 
I'll tell the world, that He is coming,
It may be near, or far away;
But we must live as if His coming,
Would be tomorrow or today.
 
Oh, tell the world, that you're a Christian,
Be not ashamed, His name to bear;
Oh tell the world, that you're a Christian,
And take Him with you everywhere.
 
For when He comes and life is over,
For those who love Him there's more to be;
Eyes have never seen the wonders,
That He's preparing for you and me.
 
I'll tell the world, that I'm a Christian,
I'm not ashamed, His name to bear;
I'll tell the world, that I'm a Christian,
I'll take Him with me anywhere.
 
                           Baynard L. Fox








No comments:

Post a Comment