Friday, October 18, 2013

In The Still Of The Morning

Psalms 5:3  "My voice shalt Thou hear in the morning, O LORD:  in the morning
will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up."

How do you start your day?  Does your day start in such a rush that by 9:00am you're
exhausted, frazzled and ready to call it quits?  Or do you get up when the house is still
silent, grab your cup of coffee, tea or in my case, water, and settle down in the soft
morning light to read God's Word and spend some time in quiet fellowship with your
Heavenly Father?  I can tell you from experience that a day started in communion with
God is a day that will be blessed by Him.  The problems that arise during the day are
more manageable, and your heart will be stilled with the peace of the Lord during the
bustle of your day.

King David knew the secret of morning communion with his God, "My voice shalt Thou
hear in the morning..."  David knew the blessing of morning fellowship with the Lord his
God.  How important is it to you?  Are you willing to sacrifice a little less sleep in order
to spend time with God.  I remember when my kids were young, I would set my alarm for
6:00am just so I could have an hour to myself before everyone got up and the day took
off.  It wasn't always easy, but it was necessary for me to have that time with the Lord.
My days just seemed to go better, I was in tune with the Lord and had a song on my lips
by the time my family made their appearance.  Days when I gave in to the flesh because
I just wanted that extra hours sleep just didn't have the peace and sweetness to them.
You tend to keep that spirit of communion and prayer throughout the day when you put
God first in the morning.

Matthew 6:6  "But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou
hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret;  and thy Father which
seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

There are times even throughout the day when it might be necessary to retreat to a quiet
place for some alone time with God.  I read of a missionary wife years ago who had a
large family.  However whenever her children saw her sit in her chair with her apron
over her head, they left her alone.  They knew that this was mother and God time, and
you didn't disturb her when she was praying.  What a testimony to her children of the
importance of God in their mothers life.  Do your children know that God has first place
in your life?  Do they know when the bedroom door is closed that mom or dad are
praying and that you don't disturb.  Your children will learn the importance of God by
how you live. 

Psalms 16:8a  "I have set the LORD always before me:"

The Lord is always before us when we are in constant communion with Him.  David says
in Psalms 55:17  "Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud:
and He shall hear my voice."  God called David "A man after God's own heart,"  I
know that the close fellowship that they enjoyed was part of this.  Can God say that
of us?  Are we a man or woman after God's own heart? 

Even the Lord Jesus Christ Himself knew the importance of time alone in  prayer
with His heavenly Father. 

Luke 6:12  "And it came to pass in those days, that He went out into a mountain to
pray, and continued all night in prayer to God."

If the Lord Jesus Himself made the time to go alone and commune with God, how much
more important is it for us to do the same!

We also have in Luke chapter 6 verses 9 - 13 a passage of scripture which is referred to
as the Lords prayer.  Many people are confused about these verses, thinking that God
wants us to say these exact words, but look at what it starts out saying, "After this
manner therefore pray ye."  These verses are a pattern as to how we are suppose to
pray.

Luke 6:9 - 13  "After this manner therefore pray ye:  Our Father which art in
heaven, Hallowed be Thy name.  Thy Kingdom come.  Thy will be done in earth,
as it is in heaven.  Give us this day our daily bread.  And forgive us our debts, as
we forgive our debtors.  And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil:
for Thine is the Kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever.  Amen."

What is the pattern of prayer that the Lord is teaching in these verses?  We first are to
start off giving glory to God;  then we humbly ask for our needs;  ask forgiveness for
our sins;  ask for His help to live Christ-like;  and end with praise to our God.

Do we spend our time praying focusing on me, me, me?  Prayer should be bookended
with praise and adoration to our Heavenly Father.  When we focus on God we lose
the attention that we tend to put on "I". 

I've mentioned this verse in previous devotionals, but it bears repeating.

1 Thessalonians 5:17  "Pray without ceasing."

Its curious to notice the verses right before and after this verse, take a look.

1 Thessalonians 5:16  "Rejoice evermore."

1 Thessalonians 5:18  "In every thing give thanks."

Do you see how these three verses all go together to create a spirit of communion with
the Heavenly Father that will bring honor and glory to Him.  What a wonderful trio to
put together for a spirit of fellowship with God throughout the day!

How are you doing with your prayer time?  Are you making time for God, or are you
trying to fit Him in to an already over crowded day?  I would much rather ask the Lords
help at the beginning of the day, then to ask forgiveness at the end of the day for walking
in my own strength and failing Him.  Where you put God in your day, will be an indication
of His importance in your life. 

 
Before I start each day, there is a special place
I love to go alone and seek my Savior's face:
I find wisdom in His Word to instruct me in His will,
And I hear His gentle voice say, My child be still.
 
He's with me all the time, wherever I may go;
Each moment of the day, He's always there I know.
But I need that special time when I bow before His throne,
Just to read His Word and talk with my Lord alone.
 
My quiet time alone gives me power to obey,
My quiet time alone with God each day.
I talk to Him in prayer;  every day He meets me there,
My quiet time alone with God.
 
                                                   Ron Hamilton



No comments:

Post a Comment