Tuesday, October 22, 2013

I'm Adopted

How thankful are you for your families?  I've been blessed with a wonderful Godly mom and
stepdad, two wonderful children, a future son-in-law, a daughter-in-law who is expecting
my first grandchild next month.  I have a sweet sister and brother-in-law who've blessed me
with two nephews.  Loving aunts, uncles and cousins...my cup is overflowing with gratitude
for the family God has given to me.

Galatians 3:26  "For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus."

But I've been doubly blessed, because I am a part of another family, the family of God!  I've
been adopted into this family by repenting of my sin and accepting salvation through the
shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Galatians 4:4 - 7  "But when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth His
Son, made of a woman, made under the law, to redeem them that were under the
law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.  And because ye are sons, God hath
sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.  Wherefore
thou art no more a servant, but a son;  and if a son, then an heir of God through
Christ."

What a wonderful blessing to be a child of God!  We are the KING'S sons and daughters! 
However there are privileges and responsibilities that come along with being a part of
any family, especially a royal family! 

Privileges

1.  We have promised unlimited access to our Heavenly Father.

Hebrews 4:16  "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we
may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."

Psalms 34:4  "I sought the LORD, and He heard me, and delivered me from all
my fears."

How fortunate we are to be blessed with earthly fathers who want our company and
are there to lend a helping hand when needed.  But we are blessed so much more to
have a Heavenly Father who wants to fellowship with us and waits for us to meet
Him at the throne of Grace.  He longs for us to pour out our hearts, to lay down our
burdens and to seek His company, comfort and mercy.  This is a privilege that is only
for God's children to partake of.  Are you availing yourself of this wonderful opportunity
to really get to know your Heavenly Father?

2.  We have our Father's promised forgiveness.

Isaiah 43:25  "I, even I, am He that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine
own sake, and will not remember thy sins."

Psalms 103:12 & 13  "As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed
our transgressions from us.  Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD
pitieth them that fear Him."

What a wonderful thing it is to be able to say that our sins are forgiven!  We stand
before God covered with the blood of Jesus which washes away our transgressions.
There is forgiveness in no other.  We can't erase our sin by anything we do, it's only
through Christ.  It says in Ephesians 1:7  In whom we have redemption through
His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace.

3.  We have our Father's promised protection.

2 Thessalonians 3:3  But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep
you from evil."

Psalms 27:5  "For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion:  in the
secret of His tabernacle shall He hide me;  He shall set me up upon a rock."

Have you ever been in the presence of someone and felt completely safe...what a
wonderful feeling.  On the other hand being with someone and fearing for your
safety is a precarious situation to be in.  There is complete safety and protection
in the presence of our Heavenly Father.  There is no need to fear with Him by our
side.  1 John 4:18 says, "There is no fear in love:  but perfect love (Jesus Christ)
casteth out fear:"

Responsibilities

1.  We need to live holy.

1 Thessalonians 2:12  "That ye would walk worthy of God, Who hath called you
unto His kingdom and glory."

1 Thessalonians 4:7  "For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto
holiness."

Have you ever had someone come up to you and say, "Wow, you look just like your
dad," or perhaps, "You resemble your mother!"  I know when I hear people say that
to my kids, that they look like me, I tend to feel pretty good!  Do we resemble our
Heavenly Father?  Do people look at our lives and see our Father in us?  It must
disappoint God when His children don't resemble Him.  Our actions, motives, walk,
talk, thoughts should all be a reflection of our Heavenly Father.

2.  We need to love others.

1 Thessalonians 3:12  "And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love
one toward another, and toward all men, even as we do toward you."

1 John 4:7 & 8  "Beloved, let us love one another:  for love is of God;  and every one
that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.  He that loveth not knoweth not
God;  for God is love."

There is a chorus that goes like this, "They will know we are Christians by our love,
by our love, they will know we are Christians by our love."  This world is a breeding
ground for envy, strife, hate, greed.  Love seems out of place in this wicket society that
we must sojourn in.  Love should stand out on us as if we were sporting three legs!
The world should see the love of the Father flowing from our actions and tongues to
everyone we come in contact with.  It is the Lords love in us that draws the unsaved to
Christ.  Are you a vessel filled to overflowing with the love of God to a dying world?

3.  We need to work.

Colossians 3:23 & 24  "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and
not unto men;  knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of inheritance:
for ye serve the Lord Christ."

Colossians 1:10  "That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being
fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God:"

We have not been saved to sit, but to serve.  God has left us in this present world to
work for Him, to point sinners to the cross of Christ.  Are you being a slothful servant
of the Lord?  Or are you busy being about your Father's business.  Jesus said this very
thing in Luke 2:49b  "Wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?"

We find in Jeremiah 15:16b  "For I am called by Thy name, O LORD God of hosts."
If we are called by His name then we carry the weight of responsibility associated with
it.

Have you been adopted into the family of God?  If not settle it today, there's always
room for one more in this wonderful family!

I am adopted;  I'm a child of the King,
God is my Father, and He owns everything.
He walks beside me;  He's my very best friend.
Praise God, I'll never be lonely again.
 
My Father chose me, and He love me I know,
He will be with me wherever I go
I'll never worry, I have joined royalty,
I am a member of the King's family.
 
I'm adopted, hallelujah!  I've got a new song.
I'm adopted, hallelujah!  I finally belong.
I've got a brand new family overflowing with love,
I'm a child of my Father above.
 
                                                          Ron Hamilton



No comments:

Post a Comment