Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Lights Of Home

Have you ever been out at night, it's dark, cold and your tired and just can't wait to
get home? Then, in the distance you see a glimmer of light and it shines brighter and
brighter the closer you get.  That light in the distance is like a homing beacon,
beckoning you home. 

For the child of God living in this sin cursed world, the light from Glory shines faintly in
the distance, a beacon to our weary souls...just a little while longer it seems to say, just
stay the course and keep on.  The longer we stay in this foreign land the stronger the pull
of our Heavenly home.  I don't know about you, but I can't wait to get home.  I can't
imagine what it will be like to leave this earthly house of clay that seems to crumble a
little bit more each day, and step through the gates of Glory to my eternal home.  To
meet my loved ones and friends that I've had to say good-bye too here.  But the greatest
thrill of my homecoming will be to meet my Savior face to face! 

Face to face with Christ my Savior, face to face what will it be,
When with rapture I behold Him, Jesus Christ Who died for me?
Face to face I shall behold Him, far beyond the starry sky;
Face to face in all His glory, I shall see Him by and by.
 
                                                  Carrie E. Breck

2 Corinthians 5:8b  "Absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord."

There are days when the trials, concerns and disappointments of this world seem
to dim the "Lights of home,"  our eyes are centered on earthly cares and we forget
that this world is not our home, we are just traveling through to our heavenly home.
It says in John 14:1 - 3 that Jesus is preparing for our homecoming!

"Let not your heart be troubled:  ye believe in God, believe also in me.  In My
Father's house are many mansions:  if it were not so, I would have told you.  I
go to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will
come again, and receive you unto Myself:  that where I am, there ye may be also."

Both my children do not live at home anymore.  When I receive a call saying that they
are going to come for a visit I get really excited.  I love to have my children at home
with me.  I spend a lot of time getting the house and the room ready for them.  I buy
their favorite foods and prepare their favorite meals.  I anticipate their arrival with
great excitement because I love my children.

Our Heavenly Father is anticipating our arrival home.  Heaven is being prepared
for us!  He is watching for us to arrive so that He may enjoy our company, He wants
His children with Him.  How wonderful it is to know that at the end of our journey is
someone who loves us, wants us and is preparing for our arrival.

Just looking at the beauty that is in this sinful world, we know that we can't even
begin to comprehend the wonders that will be our heavenly home.

1 Corinthians 2:9  "But as it is written, eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither
have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them
that love Him."

A robe of white and pure delight,
With love and beauty everywhere;
A crown of gold and joys untold,
Are mine when I get there.
 
                                          Anon

There are things that we won't know about Heaven until we enter its wondrous gates,
but the Word of God does offer some insights into the eternal home that is awaiting
us.

1.  It is a place without sin.

Revelation 21:27  "And there shall in no wise enter into it (Heaven) any thing that
defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie:  but they which
are written in the Lamb's book of life."

Can you imagine a totally sinless place?  Only goodness, truth and righteousness will
reign...which is the Lord Jesus Christ, for only He is good, true and righteous.  We
will no longer have a sin nature, the old man will be gone and we will have a sin free
body.  No more complaining, hatred, lying, envying, backbiting, impure thoughts,
alternative motives, stealing, murders, NO SIN! 

2.  There will be no night, nor enemies.

Revelation 21:23- 25  "And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon,
to shine in it:  for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it:  and the Kings
of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.  And the gates of it shall not be
shut at all by day:  for there shall be no night there."

A place that has no night.  No light is needed because the Glory of God and the Lamb
of God are the lights!  Have you ever tried to imagine what the glory of God is like?
In Exodus 33:20:22, God has to protect Moses from His glory.

"And He said, thou canst not see My face;  for there shall no man see Me, and
live.  And the LORD said, behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand
upon a rock:  and it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will
put thee in a cleft of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by."

The natural man cannot look on the glory of God and live.  But the light of heaven
will be the glory of Almighty God!

Also, look at the end of verse 25, it says that "the gates of it shall not be shut at all
by day."  The history of walled cities is that the gates are shut to keep out approaching
enemies.  Heaven's enemy, Satan will have been defeated, there is no need to shut the
gates...ever, Heaven is a place of eternal safety!

3.  We will be forever with the Lord.

Revelation 21:3 & 4  "And I (John) heard a great voice out of heaven saying,
behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and
they shall be His people, and God Himself shall be with them, and be their God.
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes:  and there shall be no more
death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain:  for
the former things are passed away."

Oh, how I love these verses.  What a wealth of precious promises they hold.  God
will forever dwell with us!  No more death, sorrow, crying or pain.  I really can't
wrap this poor head of mine around these wonderful words.  How much we have
to look forward to!  To be comforted in the arms of our Savior, what a hope for
the believer to have.

When the lights of Glory seem to disappear in the fog of hopelessness and despair,
just remind yourself of what is waiting for you at the end of the journey...Home!

 
I've a home prepared where the saints abide,
Just over in the glory-land;
And I long to be by my Savior's side,
Just over in the glory-land.
 
I am on my way to those mansions fair,
Just over in the glory-land;
There to sing God's praise and His glory share,
Just over in the glory-land.
 
What a joyful thought, that my Lord I'll see,
Just over in the glory-land;
And with kindred saved, there forever be,
Just over in the glory-land.
 
With the blood-washed throng I will shout and sing,
Just over in the glory-land;
Glad hosannas to Christ, the Lord and King,
Just over in the glory-land.
 
Just over in the glory-land,
I'll join the happy angel band,
Just over in the glory-land;
Just over in the glory-land,
There with the mighty host I'll stand,
Just over in the glory-land.
 
                                                    James W. Acuff






1 comment:

  1. We both enjoyed your article today and are also excited about going to that wonderful place. Am wondering when your going to add some of your poems to your writings? Love you honey - Mom and Bob

    ReplyDelete