Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A Legacy Of Faith

It's the one year anniversary of the passing of a very dear friend of mine.  When I think
of David and what he meant to people, there are certain things that just naturally come to
mind.  First is his love for the Lord and others.  David was a very "gentle" man;  he had a
wacky sense of humor and you just never knew what he was up to.  He was dependable, honest,
caring, sincere and loyal, and he was a man of great faith.  I used to tell him in the months
leading up to his passing, that he was setting the bar very high for the rest of us who followed. 
His answer was always the same, a laugh followed by, "The Lord gives the strength."  David
has left a legacy of faith to those who knew and loved him.

I often think on what I'm going to leave to those who follow me, my children, grandchildren.
I have a responsibility to leave them the legacy of faith in the Lord.  Do your children or
grandchildren look at you and see the Lord evident in your life?  You can't leave a legacy
of faith if you haven't lived a life of faith!

Colossians 2:6 & 7 "As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in
Him:  Rooted and built up in Him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught,
abounding therein with thanksgiving."

When we came to Jesus, broken by our sin and unable to help ourselves, we placed our
lives in His hands "by faith," trusting in Him completely to save our wretched souls and
make us fit for the kingdom of Heaven.  Yet, so many who have exercised saving faith, have
a hard time exercising their day to day faith.  The verse says, as we received the Lord, so
to walk in Him...in faith.

2 Corinthians 5:7  "For we walk by faith, not by sight."

As humans we want to know, why, when, what, who and where.  Faith sidesteps these
questions and just says "trust."  Its hard just to have faith, but its the only life that
pleases the Lord.  You see, when we put faith to work in our lives, we are giving the
control over to God, entrusting everything into His care. 

Many times we find in the Gospels that Jesus said to people, "Go, thy faith hath made
thee whole."  To be spiritually whole we need to utilize our faith.  To be spiritually healthy,
our faith must be exercised.  I was speaking with someone last week about this very thing. 
Our faith is like a muscle, use it and it becomes strong, but neglect it, and it becomes useless
and weak.  We need to put faith to work in our lives and then watch and see the Lord do
great things for us.

I've said of my children, that I want them to remember their mother as a woman of faith.
That doesn't mean that they remember me as perfect, because I'm definitely not.  The men
and women mentioned in Hebrews chapter 11, the hall of faith in the Bible, were not perfect.
There were liars, cheaters, drunkards, womanizers, but despite their sinfulness they had
faith in God.  They realized their limitations and knew Gods limitlessness, thus living by
faith they saw the marvelous working of God in their lives. 

Hebrews 11:1  "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things
not seen."

Our faith, hope is in the Lord.  I know of no safer person to place my faith in.  God will
never let us down, never leave us or forsake us, never harm us or forget us.  The unsaved
will mock our faith in the Lord, for to them it is foolish, they can't see any logic or reason
to it.  But this is the worldly mindset, it is not of God.  The world needs to see, touch, feel
in order to believe something is real.  Mans wisdom contradicts Gods.

1 Corinthians 2:5  "That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in
the power of God."

Our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ should make us stick out in this sinful world, people
should be able to see the difference in our lives.  If they don't see a difference I'd suggest
you check to see if your faith is genuine!

Galatians 2:20  "I am crucified with Christ:  nevertheless I live:  yet not I, but
Christ liveth in me:  and the life which I now life in the flesh, I live by the faith of
the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

I love this verse!  When we get saved, we crucify the "old man" on the cross of Calvary, our
lives cease to be ours, because Christ lives in and through us;  we live by our faith in Jesus
Christ.  When our lives are lived in this way, we will live the way Jesus wants us too.  1 John
5:4 says,  "For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world:  and this is the victory
that overcometh the world, even our faith."  This is nothing that we are doing, but all of
God.

Works do not produce faith...faith produces works.  So many get this mixed up and try to
work for their salvation.  The "good works" that man see from us, stem from the faith that
has already taken root in our lives, this is the evidence of things not seen.  You cannot see
faith, but you can see the results of faith.

James 2:17 & 18  "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.  Yea, a
man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works:  shew me thy faith without thy
works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works."

James 2:26  "For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is
dead also."

People should see our faith through the life we live.  We are to be like Christ.  Jesus had
compassion, kindness, love, mercy, forgiveness;  and He lived a life that always pointed
back to His Heavenly Father.  Are our works backing up the faith that we claim to have?

Hebrews 11:6  "But without faith it is impossible to please Him:  for he that cometh
to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek
Him."

How is your faith today?  If you've been saved, are you living a life of faith evidenced by
your works?  Your fruit shows your root!  You will be growing the fruit of the Spirit ( love,
joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance) in your life
if your root is in the Lord.  Faith is not believing that God will give you what you think is
the best, it's believing that God will do what He knows is best, there is a big difference. 
Become a man/woman of faith...leave a vibrant spiritual legacy to your children and
grandchildren!


Faith is the essence of things unseen,
The substance of things hoped for,
God's Word has said it, and I believe it,
For the miracle has happened to me!
 
God is the author, and He's the ending,
of all that I believe in.
Life more abundant is yours for the asking,
The miracle can happen to you!
 
God said it, and I believe it,
And that settles it for me!
God said it, and I believe it,
And that settles it for me!
Though some may doubt that His Word is true,
I've chosen to believe it,
Now what about you?
God said it, and I believe it,
And that settles it for me!
 
                                                                          Steve Adams & Gene Braun






No comments:

Post a Comment