Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Jewels

I finally got some prints today of my new little grandson.  As I sat looking at them over and
over, I was amazed at the amount of love I have for this little baby that I've never even seen,
let alone been able to cuddle.  As precious as he is to me, he is even more precious and loved
by God.  There is a little chorus that I used to sing to my children when they were babies, it's
called,  "Jewels."  In fact this is the first song that my son ever sang, he couldn't pronounce
all the words but he knew the tune!

When He cometh, when He cometh
To make up His jewels,
All His jewels, precious jewels,
His loved and His own.
 
He will gather, He will gather,
The gems for His kingdom;
All the pure ones, all the bright ones,
His loved and His own.
 
Little children, little children,
Who love their Redeemer,
Are the jewels, precious jewels,
His loved and His own.
 
Like the stars of the morning,
His bright crown adorning,
They shall shine in their beauty,
Bright gems for His crown.
  
                                              W. O. Cushing
 
 
Luke 18:16  "But Jesus called them (the children) unto Him, and said, Suffer little
children to come unto me and forbid them not;  for of such is the kingdom of God."
 
Jesus loves the children.  This has always been a comfort to me because I have a little
one in Glory that I never got to meet or hold, but I know that he/she is safe, cared for
and loved by their Creator.  I look at the pictures of my sweet grandbaby and long to be
able to rock him and sing the same songs to him that I sang to his daddy years ago. 
 
I've also realized that I still have work to do, not as a parent now, but as a Gramma. 
That little one will watch me, I have standard to keep, a faith to pass on down to the
next generation.  I was thinking today of the things that I want my grandson to learn
from me.
 
1.  That God loves him unconditionally.
 
We as humans tend to love conditionally, we try not too, but it sometimes slips in. 
God's love is unconditional, He loved us when we were yet sinners, Romans 5:8
tells us, "But God commendeth His love toward us in that, while we were yet
sinners, Christ died for us."  When the day finally comes that I'll be able to sit
and rock my little grandson, one of the first songs that I will sing to him will be,
"Jesus Loves Me." 
 
2.  That God will never fail him.
 
From my years of traveling this pilgrim journey, I have many memories of how my
Heavenly Father has always been there for me.  There have been times in the storms
of life that I have lost sight of Him, but His eye has always been upon me.  He has
sustained me through hardships, sorrows and trials.  I want my little grandson to
know that He can always count on God, that God will never let him down.  God will
always be there to guide him as he journeys through this life.
 
Psalms 32:8  "I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go,
I will guide thee with mine eye."
 
3.  That God will always forgive him.
 
As much as I hate to think about it, I know there will be times in my grandson's life
when he will fail the Lord (we all do!), but I want him to know from my own life
experiences that we have a God who not only loves us unconditionally, but will
always be standing by ready to forgive and receive us back into fellowship with
Him.  He needs to know that no matter how badly he messes up, that he always
has a God that will always forgive.

1 John 1:9  "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins,
and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

4.  That God has a plan for his life.

He is only 10 days old, but God knows exactly what His will is for him.  He needs
to be bathed in prayer, even at this early age, so that his heart will be tender towards
the Father and His plan for him.  It's up to those around him to show him that God's
ways are best.  It's so much easier to learn from the mistakes of those who have
gone before, then to make the painful mistakes yourself.  At an early age he needs
to learn to trust that God knows best. 

Psalms 119:9 & 10  "Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way?  By
taking heed thereto according to Thy word.  With my whole heart have I
sought Thee:  O let me not wander from Thy testimonies."

Don't misunderstand me and think I'm condoning being a meddlesome Gramma!
I would never step out of my place and over-ride a parents place.  But there is
nothing wrong with a Gramma having a snuggle time and singing little songs,
of telling Bible stories and reciting Bible verses to the little bundle of absolute
cuteness on her lap!  2 Timothy 3:15 says, "And that from a child thou hast
known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation,
through faith which is in Christ Jesus." 

We who are grandparents have a tremendous responsibility to these little ones
that the Lord adds to our families.  I pray to God that we will not shirk our duty
to be the Godly examples that He intends us to be to these precious gifts from His
hand.  We find the Apostle Paul telling Timothy in 2 Timothy 1:5;  "When I call
to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy
grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice:  and I am persuaded that in thee
also."  When our grandchildren see our faith in action in our lives, it makes a
lasting impression on their lives.

I can now look into the eyes of a second generation.  I know that life is not easy,
that there is going to be hardships, heartbreak and trials that this little one will
face in his life, there is no escaping that fact.  But while he is little and can fit on
my lap, he will hear of a loving Heavenly Father, who loves him, will never fail him,
will always forgive him, and has a divine plan for his life...and you can bet I'll be
adding lots of hugs and kisses too!

Psalms 103:17  "But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting
upon them that fear Him, and His righteousness unto children's children:"


Jesus loves the little children,
All the children of the world;
Red and yellow, black and white,
They are precious in His sight;
Jesus loves the little children of the world.
 
                                                          Anon.


 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment