Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Under His Shadow

Lamentations 4:20b  "Under His shadow we shall live among the heathen."

This verse of course is written to comfort the Israelites;  but we as Gentile believers living in
the age of Grace can still find the same comfort in this wonderful promise.  No one can argue
that we live in a wicked generation, surrounded by the heathen who will not acknowledge the
Lord.  God has said that even though we live in this situation, we are under His shadow.

To be under someone's shadow, that other person must be bigger than we are.  So who is
this God?

Job 36:26  "Behold God is great, and we know Him not, neither can the number of
His years be searched out.

Job 37:5  "God thundereth marvellously with His voice:  great things doeth He,
which we cannot comprehend."

Job 37:10  "By the breath of God frost is given:  and the breadth of the waters is
straitened."

Sometimes life seems to turn upside down on us.  Things come crashing in and our peace
seems to vanish like the morning dew in the sunshine.  Circumstances rush around you
and bring with them fear and things from the past that you had thought had been put to
rest.  But here they are again, and you're having to deal with all the overwhelming baggage
that comes along with it.  What do you do?

You flee to that shadow.  This shadow belongs to the Almighty God that protects from
the heathen you live amongst, but He also protects His child from all that would molest
them.  When I think of a shadow I think of a big tree with leafy branches stretching out;
this magnificent tree produces a big shadow that provides relief from the scorching sun.
I remember as a child, we had a huge weeping willow on our front lawn.  I loved to play
under its flowing branches that moved so gently in the summer breeze.  It was shady, and
I always felt like I was in my own little fort of protection.  God's shadow is like that, my
own little fort of protection...when I remember to go to it!

A lot of people will complain and say that they haven't experienced the protective shadow
of God...I would say to them, did you go to it, or are you still out running around in your
world of confusion and dismay, trying to work things out for yourself.  Don't blame God
for your failure to go into His shadow!

I was counselling someone the other day and told them that they have to stop doing!  God
is waiting to do the doing...go into the shadow, give your burden to Him, and rest in His
care, love and protection.  We always want to be doing something to work out our problems;
sometimes in our want to be doing something, we make the problem worse...let go and let
God take control.

Psalms 6:6  "I am weary with my groaning all the night, make I my bed to swim:
I water my couch with my tears."

Psalms 31:9  "Have mercy upon me, O LORD, for I am in trouble:  mine eye is
consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly."

David knew what it was like to be in distress, to feel alienated, deserted, persecuted, and
in danger of death.  He reached the lowest point that people can hit...then he went to the
shadow of his great and mighty God.  David knew that the God of that shadow not only
knew what he was going through, but He understood his feelings.  Isn't that what people
are looking for today, someone to understand them, to enter into their grief, despair, pain
and fear?

Psalms 31:24  "Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all ye that
hope in the LORD."

How could David say this?  Because he had experienced first hand the delivering power
of his LORD.  He had been witness first hand to the Lord preserving his life over and over
from King Saul.  He had seen the power of God at work in his life, helping him to slay the
lion and the bear, and then the powerful Philistine giant, Goliath.  May I say that when
you experience the power of God in your life it changes you!  You cannot remain the same
when you see God perform miracles in your life; when you see insurmountable problems
all of a sudden worked out before your eyes.  Things that you never thought you'd live
to see, have come to pass in your presence...and you are not the same.  Anyone who
comes face to face with God cannot remain the same.  Either you bow in worship before
the great King of Kings and Lord of Lords; or you harden your heart and turn from the
One that can make all things new... the choice is yours.

Joshua 24:15  "Choose you this day whom ye will serve."

I was speaking with someone today about this.  People all the time say, "How could a
loving God send people to hell?"  He doesn't.  Does that answer surprise you?  We make
the decision on whether to accept Him or reject Him.  "Choose you this day whom ye
will serve."  Don't blame God for the choices you make! 

If you are a child of God today, are you living in the shadow of your God?  Remember,
the God of the shadow understands what you are going through.  When life becomes too
hard to bear (and it does for all of us at times), run to the Holy God of the shadow and
let the refreshing of the Almighty calm your troubled heart.

Psalms 91:1 & 2  "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide
under the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge, and
my fortress:  my God, in Him will I trust."


When the storms of life are raging,
Tempest wild on sea and land;
I will seek a place of refuge,
In the shadow of God's hand.
 
Though He may send some affliction,
Twill but make me long for home;
For in love and not in anger,
All His chastenings will come.
 
Enemies may strive to injure,
Satan all his arts employ;
He will turn what seems to harm me,
Into everlasting joy.
 
So, while here the cross I'm bearing,
Meeting storms and billows wild,
Jesus, for my soul is caring,
Naught can harm His Father's child.
 
He will hide me, He will hide me,
Where no harm can e'er betide me;
He will hide me, safely hide me,
In the shadow of His hand.
 
                                    Miss. M. E. Servoss








No comments:

Post a Comment