Sunday, September 22, 2013

All Your Anxiety

We live in an anxiety ridden world.  The major cause of high blood pressure is worry and anxiety.  Yet we are admonished in the Bible that it shouldn't be.

Philippians 4:6 & 7  "Be careful for nothing:  but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known unto God.  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

We are not to be fretting and worrying over things, for our Heavenly Father has everything in control.  We get into trouble because we can't see His plan for us.  We like to be in control, however the life of faith has to be just that...faith.  There's a cute little poem that I used to recite to my children when they were little, yes it's for kids but it has Heavenly truth contained in the simple words for every believer.

Said the Robin to the Sparrow,
"Friend, I'd really like to know,
Why these anxious human beings
Rush around and worry so."
Said the Sparrow to the Robin,
"Friend, I think that it must be,
That they have no Heavenly Father,
Such as cares for you and me."
 
What kind of testimony are we as Christians to the world, if we have the same worried mindset as they do?  We have a Heavenly Father that has promised to care for us...that should eliminate the worry and anxiety in our lives!  You see God is waiting for us to come to Him...with a thankful heart, and ask of Him what we have need of. 
 
Matthew 6:28 - 30  "And why take ye thought for raiment?  Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow;  they toil not, neither do they spin:  And yet I say unto you, that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.  Where, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall He not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
 
God is not saying here that you shouldn't make plans for things, He is saying that you shouldn't worry about things.  I have been witness to some pretty amazing miracles of care for my family.  Let me share a couple with you.  It was in July a few years ago that I found myself in desperate need of close to $600.00 to pay an unexpected bill.  There was a deadline for paying it, and as it got closer I knew that a miracle was needed to meet this need.  The day before it was due I remember spending time in prayer.  I told God that I had this need, there was nothing I could do to meet this need and I needed $600.00 by tomorrow.  About five minutes after I finished praying the mailman came.  In the mail was a CHRISTMAS CARD that had gotten "lost" for 6 months.  In the card was a cheque for $600.00!  Coincidence? No way...God knew where that card had been for 6 months, and brought it to me when it was needed!  It was the almighty provision of my Heavenly Father.
 
Another example of God providing for my family happened when my children were small.  We had no food and had no choice but to go to the Food Bank.  I took my son who was about 7 years old at that time with me.  When we got home with the bags of groceries, my son emptied the bags of food all over the kitchen floor, then just sat there with this look of wonderment on his little face.  He then looked up at me and said, "Mommy God gave us all my favorite food!  We need to pray and thank Him."  I was immediately chastised in my heart.  I had been feeling embarrassed for having to go to the Food Bank, but my little boy had seen the truth in the situation...God had provided for us, and we needed to be thankful.
 
Both of these examples show the provision of God, one to us seems more miraculous then the other, but they both needed to be received with thanksgiving from the Lord.  I've learned that miracles come in all shapes and sizes, but the bottom line is that my Heavenly Father was caring for me.
 
1 Peter 5:7  "Casting all your care upon Him:  for He careth for you."
 
In the Gospel of Luke chapter 10, starting at verse 38, we find the story of Mary and Martha.  These were the sisters of Lazarus that Jesus would later raise from the dead, and friends of the Lord. 
 
"Now it came to pass, as they (Jesus & the disciples) went, that He entered a certain village:  and a certain woman named Martha received Him into her house.  And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard His word.  But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to Him, and said, Lord, dost Thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone?  Bid her therefore that she help me.  And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:  But one thing is needful:  and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her."
 
What the Lord essentially was telling Martha, was that Mary was focusing on the right thing...Him.  When our eyes are off the Lord we become cumbered about with anxiety and worry about things that really aren't that important.  When our eyes are on Jesus, He will provide what we need.  Make sure you know your needs from your wants.  This is not to say that God won't bless us with extra's once in a while.  That day when the food was all over the floor, my son looked at me and said, "Mommy, God gave me all my favorite food!"  
 
Matthew 6:33  "But seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness;  and all these things shall be added unto you."
 
When you do what God commands, He will take care you...and your anxiety and worry will be a sin of the past.
 
 
Is there a heart o'er bound by sorrow?
Is there a life weighed down by care?
Come to the cross, each burden bearing,
All your anxiety, leave it there.
 
No other friend so keen to help you,
No other friend so quick to hear;
No other place to leave your burden,
No other one to hear your prayer.
 
Come then at once, delay no longer!
Heed His entreaty kind and sweet;
You need not fear a disappointment,
You shall find peace at the Mercy Seat.
 
All your anxiety, all your care,,
Bring to the Mercy Seat, leave it there;
Never a burden He cannot hear,
Never a friend like Jesus!

                                        Edward H. Joy
 


No comments:

Post a Comment