Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Woman At The Well

We live in a constantly "seeking" world.  The world is seeking happiness, peace, contentment, fulfillment and rest just to name a few things.  Those of this world will never find what they are looking for because they are searching in the wrong place.  Worldly thinking tells them that if they work hard enough they will accumulate material things, and that will make them content.  They seek fulfillment through accomplishments.  Money, they reason will bring happiness and peace.  Rest they figure will happen when all the above takes place.  Oh, how wrong they are.  You cannot find happiness, peace, contentment, fulfillment and rest outside of the Lord Jesus Christ.

In John chapter 4 we find the story of a Samaritan woman.  Jesus and His disciples were traveling from Judaea to Galilee.  Usually the Jews went around Samaria, but verse 4 states that "He (Jesus) must needs go through Samaria."  Jesus knew that there was a needy soul at Samaria, and He went out of His way to meet her. (A good example for soul-winning!)

John 4:6-9  "Now Jacob's well was there, Jesus therefore, being wearied with His journey sat thus on the well:  and it was about the sixth hour.  There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water:  Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.  (For His disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.)  Then saith the woman of Samaria unto Him, How is it that Thou, being a Jew askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria?  for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans."

This woman was the needy soul that Jesus had gone out of His way to meet.  He knew that she would be coming to draw water at that well and He was waiting for her.  When she had left her house to go to that well just as she did every day, she had no idea that her life would change so drastically before she returned.  This day would end differently for her, for she would meet the Savior, and never be the same again. 

People today are hurrying here and there constantly trying to fill the voids in their lives, but unknown to them the Savior IS waiting to fill the emptiness in their lives with the "Living Water,"  they need never be the same again!

Jeremiah 17:13  "O LORD, the hope of Israel, all that forsake Thee shall be ashamed, and they that depart from me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living waters."

John 4:14  "But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst;  but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life."

She gave the Lord water to quench His physical thirst, He gave her the "Living Water", Himself, to quench her spiritual thirst.  There's a song that goes like this, "Only Jesus can satisfy your soul, only He can cleanse your heart and make you whole."  This woman got saved that day and as a result many in her city were saved as well because "...we have heard Him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world."  (verse 42)  This woman found the happiness, peace, contentment, fulfillment and rest that her soul had been craving, and that she couldn't find in what the world had been offering her. 

I'm a diabetic and when my sugars are out of control and running really high I have an unquenchable horrible thirst.  No matter how much water I drink I cannot quench this unrelenting torturous thirst.  This is the type of thirst that we should have for the Word of God.  We should never be able to get enough of the Word, we should constantly be desiring more.  This is not the "thirst for salvation", its the thirst for fellowship and communion with our Heavenly Father. 

Psalms 42:1 & 2  "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after Thee, O God.  My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God:"

Psalms 63:1  "O GOD, Thou art my God;  early will I seek Thee:  my soul thirsteth for Thee, my flesh longeth for Thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;"

Psalms 143:6  "I stretch forth my hands unto Thee:  my soul thirsteth after Thee, as a thirsty land."

After we are saved and the initial thirst for the Living Water has been satisfied, we should daily be thirsty for fellowship and communion with our God.  Most people now a days are very health conscious and make sure that they drink at least 8 glasses of water daily to maintain proper bodily functions.  Our inner man, our "spiritual body" needs to be cared for as well.  Are we making sure that we drinking regularly from that "spiritual well of Living Water" so that our spiritual bodies are functioning properly?  Are we daily reading the Bible and spending time in prayer in order to become healthy and strong spiritually?  Our spiritual thirst should be one that is never quenched this side of Glory. 

Matthew 5:6  "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness:  for they shall be filled."

Where are you going to quench your thirst?  The world has nothing to offer you,  Ecclesiastes 2:11  "Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do:  and , behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun."  Only Jesus can satisfy your soul.  Revelation 22:17  "And the Spirit and the bride say, Come.  And let him that is athirst come.  And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely."

The Samaritan woman found the Living Water that day at the well.  What about you?  Are you still thirsting and looking to the world for only the quenching that can come from the Lord?  Come, drink of the Living Water that He is still offering freely today.

Like the woman at the well I was seeking
For things that could not satisfy;
And then I heard my Savior speaking:
Draw from My well that never shall run dry.
 
There are millions in this world who are craving
The pleasure earthly things afford;
But none can match the wondrous treasure
That I find in Jesus Christ, my Lord.
 
So, my brother, if the things this world gave you
Leave hungers that won't pass away,
My blessed Lord will come and save you,
If you kneel to Him and humbly pray:
 
Fill my cup Lord - I lift it up, Lord!
Come and quench this thirsting of my soul;
Bread of heaven, feed me till I want no more.
Fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole!



No comments:

Post a Comment