Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Good Shepherd

Psalms 23:1  "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."

I've been thinking a lot the past couple of days about a shepherd.  So I sat down and thought about what the duties of a shepherd are.  His main duty in caring for the sheep is to move them safely from one area to another.  He is also responsible for protecting them from wolves or other predators that want to harm them.  He needs to be sure that they have the right food and that they are not eating poisonous vegetation.  He must care for the sick.  He also uses dogs or even horses to help keep them together and safe.

How much does this list also apply to our Heavenly Shepherd!  Our Good Shepherd is safely moving us through this world to our Heavenly home.  He knows the way because He has walked it all before us.  He knows where the predators lurk, where the best places to rest are, and how to avoid the pits, thorns and dangers on the way.

If we have a Heavenly Shepherd then that would make us sheep!

Psalms 100:3  "Know ye that the LORD He is God:  it is He that hath made us, and not we ourselves:  we are His people, and the sheep of His pasture."

Sheep are known for being dumb.  They need to be led.  They will follow anyone that wants to lead them, eat what they are given and they are prone to wander off on their own regardless of the danger that might be nearby.  Isn't that like us...we are dumb and need to be led and cared for! 

Isaiah 53:6  "All we like sheep have gone astray:  we have turned every one to his own way:"

We NEED a shepherd.  We need protection from the devil and his workers of darkness.  It is so easy for us to be led astray by false doctrine and the lies of the evil one.  He as also made sure that we have the proper food to feed on, to nourish our spiritual man.

Jeremiah 15:16  "Thy words were found, and I did eat them:  and Thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart:  for I am called by Thy name, O LORD God of hosts."

Psalms 119:103  "How sweet are Thy words unto my taste!  Yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth."

There are so many poisonous heresies that we can get snagged into believing, but we have the Living Word of Truth to feed on.  Feeding daily on the truth will keep us healthy and strong in our journey to Heaven.  In Ezekiel 34:15 the Lord says,   "I will feed my flock, and I will cause them to lie down, saith the Lord God."  He provides for our food and rest.

Our Great Heavenly Shepherd has provided under shepherds...Pastors, to help guide and feed us during our time on earth.  These men are to care and watch out for our souls.  

Jeremiah 23:4  "And I will set up shepherds over them which shall feed them:  and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall they be lacking, saith the LORD."

A shepherd cares for his sheep.  He is concerned for them.  He also spends all his time with them, so that when he calls they will follow him because they know him.

John 10:3 - 5  "...And He calleth His own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.  And when he putteth forth His own sheep, He goeth before them, and the sheep follow Him:  for they know His voice.  And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him:  for they know not the voice of strangers."

John 10:14  "I am the Good Shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine."

John 10:27  "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me."

The sheep know the shepherd, they know His voice and follow Him.  If we spend time in the Word of God, and feed on it, we will know His voice.  We will hear Him when He calls and follow where He leads.  Our Great Shepherd has given the ultimate gift for His sheep, His life.  In order to save us, He freely gave Himself as the sacrifice for us.

John 10:11  "I am the Good Shepherd:  the Good Shepherd giveth His life for the sheep."

1 Peter 2:24 & 25  "Who His own self bare our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness:  by whose stripes ye were healed.  For ye were as sheep going astray;  but now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls."

How thankful I am that I am a sheep of His pasture.  That my Shepherd knows my name, cares for me, provides for me, protects me and loved me to the point of laying down His own life to save mine.  Are you listening to the Shepherds voice?  Do you heed His warnings, feed on His provisions and follow His leading?  I am so blessed to be a sheep in the pasture of the Great Good Shepherd!  I have no need of fear for "He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:  He leadeth me beside still waters.  He restoreth my soul:  He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name sake." Psa. 23:2 & 3

Savior, like a shepherd lead us, Much we need Thy tender care;
In Thy pleasant pastures feed us, For our use Thy folds prepare;
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus, Thou hast bought us, Thine we are;
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus, Thou hast bought us, Thine we are.
 
We are Thine; do Thou befriend us, Be the Guardian of our way;
Keep Thy flock, from sin defend us, Seek us when we go astray;
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus, Hear, O hear us when we pray:
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus, Hear, O hear us when we pray.



No comments:

Post a Comment