Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Minute Musings...Cravings

Have you ever craved anything?  When I was pregnant with my firstborn, I craved "Bugles."
They are little cracker/chips things that come in various flavours.  I craved the BBQ ones,
and I'm sure ate enough to almost single handedly sustain their business!  But after my son
was born I couldn't even have them in the house anymore!  I've heard of some women who
crave really strange things, toothpaste, grass and so on!

The dictionary describes the word crave as "to have a very strong desire for;  to long for;
an inordinate desire for."

1 Peter 2:2  "As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may
grow thereby."

Have you ever watched a newborn baby when they are hungry?  They frantically turn
their heads this way and that, looking for the milk...they have a strong desire for that
food!  The Bible tells us that we should have that same craving for the Word of God,
as that infant has for their milk.  Do we crave time alone in the Word, studying and
growing in the Lord?  Or do other things fills our hearts, momentarily filling that
hunger void with the things of this world, which do not last?

We cannot feed on this world and grow in Christ at the same time.  What we feed, the
old nature or the new nature, will be the one that grows and dominates.  King David
was very aware that one must feed on the Word.  Psalms 119:97, 99, 103 & 104
"O how love I Thy law, it is my meditation all the day.  For Thy testimonies are
my meditation.  How sweet are Thy words unto my taste!  Yea, sweeter than
honey to my mouth!  Through Thy precepts I get understanding:"  David knew
that He needed to feed on the law of the Lord.  He meditated on the Word of God,
and God's words were sweet to his soul. 

What are you feeding on?  What do you spend your time watching on television?  Do
you reach for the Bible or for worldly books and magazines that promote fleshly desires?
Do you turn to alcohol or drugs to try and fill that void in your heart?  All of these things
may bring about a temporary sense of fulfillment in your life, but it will not last!  Don't
waste your time feeding on this wicked world, it will be empty calories and bring rottenness
and death to your bones.  Only Jesus can fill the longing in your soul, only the Word of
God can fill the cravings of your heart.

Psalms 119:40  "Behold, I have longed after Thy precepts (Word) quicken me
in Thy righteousness."

Only Jesus Can Satisfy Your Soul
 
The world may try to satisfy
That longing in your soul,
You may search the wide world over,
But you'll be just as before.
You'll never find true satisfaction,
Until you've found the Lord,
For only Jesus can satisfy your soul.
 
Only Jesus can satisfy your soul.
Yes, only He can change your heart
And make you whole.
He'll give you peace you never knew,
Sweet joy and love and Heaven too,
For only Jesus can satisfy your soul.
 
                                      Lanny Wolfe

1 comment: