Saturday, August 9, 2014

Minute Musings...No, Not One!

Proverbs 18:24  "And there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother."

How very blest we are to have friends.  I don't know how I would have made it through
some of the things in my life without my dear friends.  Friends are a gift from the Lord,
and we should never take friendship for granted.  But as dear and loved as our friends
are, there is one friend that is above all others.

Friends are human, and like it or not, there will be times when they will fail us, hurt
us and in general let us down.  Maybe intentional, maybe not...but our human friends
will in some way disappoint and hurt us over the course of time.  The Bible tell us
however about a friend who will never fail us. 

This friend knows us better than we know ourselves.  He will always be there for us,
never too busy to listen to our troubles.  He will bring joy into our lives like we've never
known before  Psalms 16:11  "Thou wilt shew me the path of life:  In Thy presence
is fullness of joy:"  He will put a song in our mouths and a smile on our faces,  Psalms
40:3  "And He hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God."  He
will be our guide when we cannot see,  Psalms 32:8  "I will instruct thee and teach
thee in the way which thou shalt go:  I will guide thee with Mine eye."  Our strength
when we are weak,  Psalms 18:32  "It is God that girdeth me with strength, and
maketh my way perfect."  Our comfort in sorrow,  Psalms 9:9  "The LORD also
will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble."   Our encourager
when down,  Psalms 107:9  "For He satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the
hungry soul with goodness."   Our protector from danger,  Psalms 4:8  "I will both
lay me down in peace, and sleep:  for Thou LORD, only makes me dwell in safety."
Our counselor when perplexed,  Psalms 33:11  "The counsel of the LORD standeth
for ever, the thoughts of His heart to all generations."   Our shepherd when feeling
lost,  Psalms 23:1  "The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want."  Our helper when
we are helpless,  Psalms 54:4  "Behold, God is mine helper:"

Oh, how very blessed we are to say that Jesus is our friend!  O, What A Friend We
Have In Jesus."  Make sure that your confidence is placed in God, not in man.

There's not a friend like the lowly Jesus,
No, not one!  No, not one!
None else could heal all our soul's diseases,
No, not one!  No, not one!
 
There's not an hour that He is not near us,
No, not one!  No, not one!
No night so dark, but His love can cheer us,
No, not one!  No, not one!
 
Was e'er a gift like the Savior given?
No, not one!  No, not one!
Will He refuse us a home in heaven?
No, not one!  No, not one!
 
Jesus knows all about our struggles,
He will guide till the day is done:
There's not a friend like the lowly Jesus,
No, not one!  No, not one!
 
                                     Johnson Oatman Jr. 

No comments:

Post a Comment