Saturday, August 30, 2014

Minute Musings...It Is Well With My Soul

The song "It Is Well With My Soul" is loved around the world.  It has brought comfort
to untold millions over the years.  However, few know the story behind this well loved
hymn.

Horatio G. Spafford was born on October 20, 1828 in North Troy, New York.  He
eventually married and settled in Chicago as a successful lawyer.  He was a Christian
and was involved in various Christian outreaches.  Shortly before a fire in 1871, which
devastated Chicago, and wiped out his business, he and his wife suffered the loss of
their son.  Two years after the fire, Horatio planned a trip to Europe with his wife and
four daughters.  He had made plans to assist Dwight L. Moody and Sanky in an
evangelistic campaign in Britain.  At the last minute he was held back because of
business, but decided to send his wife and daughters on ahead of him.  On November
22nd, the S.S. Ville du Havre collided with an English vessel, The Lockhearn and sank.
Horatio received this crushing cable from his wife soon after her rescue, "Saved alone."
Travelling to the place where his daughters drowned, he penned these now famous words,
"When sorrows like sea billows roll."

There are not many of us that can say we have experienced loss like this dear man did.
How could he say, "It is well with my soul" while peering into the deep abyss that claimed
the lives of his precious daughters?  He had learned that the condition of ones soul does
not rely on the circumstances surrounding them. Psalms 46:1 - 3  "God is our refuge and
strength, a very present help in trouble.  Therefore will not we fear, though the earth
be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea. Though
the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof."

Horatio knew the secret, do you?  Have you learned to commit your way unto the Lord,
to trust in Him, no matter what assails you?  I'm sure that you have come across that
special person at some point, the one who seems to be able to withstand all the storms
of life.  They are battered but not broken, they are tossed but not crushed.  And I know
that you've wondered...How?  It is because they knew that no matter what happens, Jesus
holds their hand.  They have learned that Jesus alone is their strength.  Horatio did not
dwell on the catastrophe that had befallen him, he turned his attention and thoughts to the
Lord, and he clung to the promises of God's Holy Word.  Thus he was able to pen the
remaining verses to this beloved hymn with complete confidence in his Savior and His
divine will.

You too must keep your eyes on the Lord and His promises,  God knows what is happening
in your life, and He has it all in control.  Cling to your Saviors hand and learn to say, "It is
well with my soul." Psalms 91:1 & 2  "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most
High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the LORD, He is my
refuge and my fortress;  my God:  in Him will I trust."

It Is Well With My Soul
 
When peace like a river attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
"It is will, it is well with my soul."
 
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
 
My sin - O the bliss of this glorious thought,
My sin - not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
 
And, Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll,
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so - it is well with my soul.
 
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
 
                                     Horatio G. Spafford

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to be able to say "It is well with my soul."

    ReplyDelete