Sunday, August 3, 2014

Minute Musings...The "I" Generation

Romans 12:21  "Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good."

This is NOT a "good" world we live in.  Evil abounds on every hand.  Everyone is
out for themselves...I want it;  I  deserve it;  I come first;  I don't care about anyone
else.  Have you ever really looked at the word "pride"...pr'i'de.  This is the I generation!
( I am not referring to "Superstars of Wrestling'' or Rapper MC Lars use of this phrase
in referring to kids born between 1982 - 2000).  Pride is one of the root causes of evil. 
Take a look at what Lucifer (Satan) said.

Isaiah 14: 12 - 14  "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the
morning!  How art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the
nations!  For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will
exalt my throne above the stars of God;  I will sit also upon the mount of
the congregation, in the sides of the north:  I will ascend above the heights
of the clouds:  I will be like the most High."

Satan was full of pride, so it would stand to reason that his followers (the unsaved)
would have the same self-centered I-philosophy of life.  It is this pride that will
lead to his final downfall.  Isaiah 14:15  "Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell,
to the sides of the pit."  Satan's end has been foretold and will one day be brought
to pass.

That being said, I want to focus on how we, as children of God can stand apart in
this wicked world in which we sojourn.  Romans 13:10  "Love worketh no ill
to his neighbour:  therefore love is the fulfilling of the law."  Nothing stands
out now a days as much as love does.  In a world of pride and selfishness, genuine
love stands out like a beckon in a dark night.  The verse at the start of this devotional
says to "overcome evil with good."  It does not say to reward good with good! 
Verse 19 of Romans 12 says, "Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him;  if he
thirst, give him drink;"

It is easy to be kind and loving to those who are kind and loving to us.  But true
Christ-like love is shown when we can treat our enemies with love and kindness.
You might be wondering how you can do this.  How can I treat so-and-so with
love when they've done this terrible thing to me?  There is only one way to show
true Christ-like love.  Romans 13:14  "But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ,
and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof."  To live like
Christ we must live in Christ.  It is only as we fully surrender our wills to the
Lord and have the filling of the Holy Spirit directing our lives that we will be
one with the Lord and He can love others through us.

Resolve today to quit the "I" Generation and become a true Christ-follower, love
showing, kindness giver...letting Him live through you!

No comments:

Post a Comment