Saturday, September 20, 2014

Minute Musings...Happy Am I

There is a huge misconception now a days about the true meaning of happiness.  The
majority of people look for happiness in relationships, in financial security, big houses,
graduating from top notch universities, jobs that bring in the big bucks.  I'm sure that
you've heard the saying, "You can buy anything in the world, except happiness."  Why
is that?  It's because happiness doesn't come from outward commodities or relationships,
true happiness comes from the Lord.

Proverbs 16:20b  "Whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he."

People will fail you, finances will eventually fail, there is no lasting satisfaction in
material possessions.  Any prestige from big universities and important cushy jobs
will fade with the passing of years.  God warns us about putting our trust in things
and people.

Luke 12:15  "And He (Jesus) said unto them (the disciples) Take heed, and beware
of covetousness:  for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which
he possesseth."

1 Timothy 6:10a  "For the love of money is the root of all evil."

Psalms 62:10b  "If riches increase, set not your heart upon them."

Proverbs 11:28a  "He that trusteth in his riches shall fall:"

Micah 7:5a  "Trust ye not in a friend, put ye not confidence in a guide."

Psalms 118:8  "It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man."

Psalms 146: 3 & 5  "Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom
there is no help.  Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope
is in the LORD his God."

Why would anyone want to put their trust in things that they know in their hearts will
fail them.  And when they fail, there goes their happiness, for it was tied to the tail of
those worldly things.  True happiness can only come from the Lord God.  He will
never fail us!  He has promised His blessed presence along this pilgrim journey to
Heaven.  He has promised His sustaining hand for the trials that come our way.  His
comfort is ours for the sorrows that will befall us.  His grace upholds us when the way
becomes hard to bear.  His power protects us, as He shelters us under His wings of
love. 

What are you trusting in today?  If you are placing your trust in the things of the world
and expecting true happiness in return, you are going to be sorely disappointed. 

Happy Am I
 
Happy am I!  Jesus is mine forever,
Never to leave, always in each endeavor;
Leading me on, in a life ending never;
Giving a smile, every mile, Happy am I!
 
Happy am I!  All of my sins forgiven,
What a great day!  Life is now worth the living,
One of these days, I'll be enjoying heaven:
Now that I know, upward I'll go, Happy am I!
 
Happy am I!  How can I help but shout it?
Every day, telling the world about it;
Jesus is real, only believe, don't doubt it;
Then you will be, happy like me - Happy am I!
 
                                        Mickey Holiday


No comments:

Post a Comment