Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Minute Musings...Rolaid Christianity

Psalms 119:117  "Hold Thou me up, and I shall be safe:  and I will have respect unto
Thy statutes continually."

Have you ever had an upset stomach?  The first thing you want to do is to find a remedy
for your ailment.  Upset stomach = Rolaids.  You're sick, you pop one in and presto...you
start to feel better;  you remember the whole, "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is!" 
The thing about a remedy is that you don't go looking for it unto you feel ill, then its Rolaids
to the rescue.

Is this the way you treat your faith?  Your Bible remains on the shelf, except on Sundays
of course.  But get out of the way when you're in trouble!  The Bible comes out right
away...your spiritual Rolaids to the rescue!  No, that is not the way that true Christianity
works.  God is not some on-call spiritual doctor, 1-800-God is here!  True Christianity is
a real relationship, not a religion, it's intimacy not an acquaintance.

"I will have respect unto Thy statutes continually."  We are to be in the Word of God
daily.  We are to read, study and meditate on it.  We should be memorizing it.  Psalms
119:11  "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee." 
When the Word of God takes up residence in our hearts, it will direct our thoughts, actions,
motives, desires and speech.  What is in our hearts will play out in our lives.  I have had
occasions when I've been unsure of what course of action to take, and all of a sudden a
verse that I committed to memory years ago will come to my mind.  It is no coincidence
when this happens, its the living Word of God showing me through memorized scripture
what my course of action should be. 

Our faith is a living faith, based on a living Lord, and directed through the living Word.
Psalms 119:14 - 16  "I have rejoiced in the way of Thy testimonies, as much as in
all riches.  I will meditate in Thy precepts, and have respect unto Thy ways.  I will
delight myself in Thy statutes:  I will not forget Thy words."

Take note of the "I will's" in this verse.  I will meditate and have respect;  I will delight;
I will not forget."  These are deliberate decisions that we make to follow the Lord the
way He commands us to.  It is only in this deliberate act of obedience that we will know
the true joy of the Lord.

Are you on Rolaid therapy today, or are you a true believer, committed to having a
deep intimate relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.  One is a quick fix, a band aid
for a problem that never will find a lasting remedy.  The other is a deep, lasting, loving
relationship with a merciful, faithful Savior.  Which would you rather?  As for me, I'm
throwing out the Rolaids!

Psalms 119:50  "This is my comfort in my affliction:  for Thy word hath
quickened me."

No comments:

Post a Comment