Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Minute Musings...Spiritual Diet

Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach, Military, Tops, Slim Fast, Herbal Magic, Fat
Flush, Glycemic Index, Best Life, Cabbage Soup, Grapefruit, Jenny Craig, Master
Cleanse, Macrobiotic, Mediterranean, Beverly Hills, Nutrisytem.  By now you all know
that I'm talking about diets.  This is just some of the many on the list that I found.  The
diet industry brings in 20 billion dollars in revenue annually with the sales of diet
books, drugs and the thousands of surgeries performed.  Its estimated that there are
108 million dieters just in the US annually!  The one thing all these diets have in
common is to try and get the dieter to adopt a healthy lifestyle of eating and exercise. 
It all boils down to one simple equation, stop eating junk and start eating good healthy
food.

Do you know that many of us need to go on a spiritual diet as well.  We are allowing
into our hearts and minds things that are not good for us.  We are filling up our minds
with the worlds entertainment, philosophy, in essence, the worlds junk food.  We are
taking in less and less of the Word of God, and we are not even noticing because we
have gorged ourselves at the worlds all you can eat buffet.

John 6:33 & 35  "For the bread of God is He which cometh down from heaven
(Jesus), and giveth life unto the world.  And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread
of life:  he that cometh to me shall never hunger:  and he that believeth on Me
shall never thirst."

The problem with most diets is that they leave you feeling hungry and dissatisfied,
because you have not taken in all you need of good food.  This world will leave you
empty and dissatisfied as well, you have not taken in what you need to feel nourished
and full.  Jesus is all that you need.  He said in the verses we just read, that He is the
bread of life.  Is that what you are feeding on?

Song of Solomon 2:4  "He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner
over me was love."

Jeremiah 15:16  "Thy words were found, and I did eat them;  and Thy word was
unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart:  for I am called by Thy name, O
LORD God of hosts."

Are you spiritually weak today?  Take an inventory of what your nourishment is. 
Just as we have to clean out our kitchen of the piled up junk food from time to time,
and restock it with good nourishing food, perhaps its time to do a spiritual clean up. 
As important as it is to have healthy physical bodies, it is even more important to have
a spiritually fit inner man.

Psalms 119:103  "How sweet are Thy words unto my taste!  Yea, sweeter than
honey to my mouth!"

All the way my Savior leads me,
Cheers each winding path I tread,
Gives me grace for every trial,
Feeds me with the living bread,
Though my weary steps may falter,
And my soul athirst may be,
Gushing from the Rock before me,
Lo! A spring of joy I see,
Gushing from the Rock before me;
Lo! A spring of joy I see.
 
                     Fanny J. Crosby










No comments:

Post a Comment