Thursday, September 18, 2014

Minute Musings...Speak Lord

I'm sure that you have all known someone that just talks, talks, talks.  It doesn't matter
what the topic is, they have all the answers and no one else can get a word in!  The art
of listening seems to be a lost art in this day and age.  No one wants to hear what someone
else might have to say.  Do you know that God encounters this problem all the time!  He
has something to say to us, and we won't shut our mouths long enough to hear Him!  Or,
perhaps we don't want to hear what He has to say!

Ecclesiastes 3:7  "A time to keep silence, and a time to speak."  I believe that today,
the ability to discern when to keep silent and when to speak has been lost. Everybody seems
to have an opinion about everything, and the desire to be heard, but there are times when it
is more advantageous to be silent.  James 1:19  "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let
every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath."  Everyone would agree that
we learn more when we listen, so then why are we swift to speak and slow to hear? 

Proverbs 10:19b  "But he that refraineth his lips is wise."

Proverbs 11:12b  "But a man of understanding holdeth his peace."

Proverbs 17:27a  "He that hath knowledge spareth his words."

Proverbs 21:23    "Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from
                                 troubles."

I believe that we can all agree that our mouths get us into all kinds of trouble.  But I
would like to point out one other fact...when we are talking we are not listening!  Pretty
straight forward isn't it!  It is only when we are quiet that we will hear the small still
voice of our Lord.  We find God saying in Psalms 46:10, "Be still, and know that I
am God:"  We need to quiet our minds, bodies and tongues to hear God.

In 1 Samuel chapter 3 we have the story of the child Samuel.  It was in the quiet of the
night that the Lord came and called to him.  Eli the priest had instructed Samuel on the
way to answer the Lord, "Speak Lord;  for Thy servant heareth."  Can we quiet our
tongues and prayerfully say the same, "Speak Lord;  for Thy servant heareth"?  Are you
open to hearing from God what He has to say?  Are you willing to surrender to the Lord
your time, opinions, tongue, in order to hear what He wants to tell you?  If so, then get
into His Word, open your spiritual ears to the things of God, He has much to teach us!

Speak, Lord, In The Stillness
 
Speak, Lord, in the stillness;  Speak dear Lord to me.
Hush my heart to listen, Keep my thoughts on Thee.
How I need Thy presence;  How I need Thy care.
Speak Lord, in the stillness, As I kneel in prayer.
 
Calm the storms within me;  Drive away the fear.
Quiet every murmur;  Wash away my tears.
How I need Thy wisdom;  How I need Thy pow'r.
Teach me, Lord to listen, In the quiet hour.
 
Help me trust Thy goodness;  Let me know Thy will.
Fill me with Thy Spirit;  Keep me calm and still.
May I trust Thee fully;  Make my faith increase.
Keep my heart forever, In Thy perfect peace.
 
                                 Frank Garlock

No comments:

Post a Comment