Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Minute Musings...A Family Resemblance

How many times have you looked at someone and you could see the family resemblance?
When my grandson was born in November, I found myself checking to find that family
resemblance, the shape of his little head and the hint of red hair remind me of my son, his
daddy; but his eyes come from his mommy's side of the family.  We always look to see if
they have their father's nose, mother's eyes, grandfather's chin, aunt's smile.  I've had it
said about me, that I have my dad's smile and grandmother's nose.  When I hear that, it
gives me a feeling of belonging, connection, of sharing something that is deeply rooted in
"family."

As a child of God, there should be a "family" resemblance.  People should be able to look
at us and see our heavenly Father.  1 John 4:7 & 8  "Beloved, let us love one another:
for love is of God:  and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.  He
that loveth not knoweth not God:  for God is love."  God is love, therefore it stands to
reason that His children should have this distinct characteristic.  There are many today
that say they are Christians, yet hate permeates their actions and speech.  A child of God
will love.  This doesn't mean they accept the sin, but they will love the sinner.  You've heard
the saying that actions speak louder than words; a person can have all the right "talk" but
it means nothing if they don't have the right "walk."

1 John 2:6 says, "He that saith, he abideth in Him, ought himself also so to walk,
even as He walked."  The Lord Jesus was known for His love and compassion for the
multitudes that daily flocked to see Him.  We are to pattern our lives by His example.
Can people look at you and see the Savior through your actions, motives and speech?
Are you someone who is known for your love of others?  Make sure that your talk and
your walk match.  There should be a family resemblance if you're a child of God!






No comments:

Post a Comment