Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Minute Musings...Goals

I've started my New Year off with packing up my household for a move that I didn't see
happening.  Being surrounded with boxes is not the way I saw this year starting out, but
it is a good way to start decluttering...again. 

As I sort through my belongings, deciding what to keep and what to let go, I find myself
comparing what I find myself doing, to my Spiritual life.  People tend to make New Years
resolutions, promising themselves that this will be the year to lose weight, to give up a
bad habit and so on.  What do we get rid of from our lives and what do we keep? 

Here are a few things that I'm trying, with God's help, to be victorious with this coming
year.

1.  Philippians 2:14  "Do all things without murmurings and disputings:"

It is so easy to get caught up in the sin of complaining.  But we are admonished to do
all things WITHOUT murmurings and disputings.  How can this be accomplished?  By
focusing on the Lord Jesus Christ, keeping Him first in our hearts and minds throughout
our days.  This doesn't come naturally, it is a learned and prayed about "habit" that must
be worked on...but with His help we can become a child of God who is known for praising
our Father instead of complaining, no matter what happens.

2.  Ephesians 5:16  "Redeeming the time, because the days are evil."

How many times do we come to the end of our day and realize that we squandered
precious time during the day on useless endeavors?  We know that as we grow older
time just seems to evaporate from our lives!  We need to prioritize our lives.  What
will count for eternity?  Make this the year that we give our hours over to the Lord;
we need to live with eternity in view!

3.  Colossians 3:1 & 2  "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are
     above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.  Set your affection on
     things above, not on things on the earth."
 
As I'm sorting through my things, I'm coming across items that at one time I put value
in.  These things no longer hold any meaning for me, their value has vanished with the
passing of time.  However when our affections are invested in the eternal, their value
will not diminish over time.  What are you placing value on in your life?  We are told
to seek those things which are above, this is what our affections should be focused on.

4.  2 Timothy 2:3  "Thou, therefore, endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus
    Christ."

It's very easy to fall into the pit of pity when we are faced with hardness.  Whether it
comes in the shape of loss of health, loved ones, finances, homes, jobs...hardships are
universal.  But as a child of God we are instructed to endure these hardships as a GOOD
soldier of Jesus Christ.  A good soldier takes his orders without comment, he obeys
immediately, and he will fight to the death for his leader and country...without complaint.
From our past record, would we receive reward or dishonorable discharge from God's
army?

5.  James 4:7  "Submit yourselves therefore to God, Resist the devil, and he will
    flee from you."

It is my prayer this year to be submissive to the Lord God and what He has in store for
me.  Is it going to be easy...no, being submissive does not come naturally to us.  But a
submissive life to the Lord is the only life that will bring peace and blessing.

I encourage you today to make a list of Spiritual goals that you want to accomplish this
year.  If you don't set goals you go nowhere.  With God's help, you will be able to look
back at 2014 and see a year of Spiritual growth and blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment