Sunday, November 9, 2014

Minute Musings...Dust Bunnies

Every once in a while I get in a decluttering mood.  Anything and everything that has not
had a use in the past few months is in real danger of being tossed out!  We are a generation
of "things."  Much that we think we need ends up sitting unused, collecting dust and taking
up space that could be put to much better use.  There is a feeling of freedom to rid your home
of these useless things.  I love to see the cleared space after a day of decluttering!

Our homes are not the only place that we need to clean out every once in a while. 
1 Timothy 2:20 & 21  "But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of
silver, but also of wood and of earth:  and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified,
and meet for the maser's use, and prepared unto every good work." 

You see, when we are saved, the Holy Spirit indwells us, we become the "home" of God on
earth  1 Corinthians 3:16  "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the
Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" When you are expecting company, what do you do?  Are
the dishes left unwashed in the sink, dirty clothes on the floor, a layer of dust covering
everything?  No, you clean.  The sinks are empty and gleaming spotless, beds are made,
clothes put away, vacuuming and dusting have made your home presentable and welcoming
to your guests.  So, why do we not take the same care in preparing our hearts for the in-
dwelling of the Holy Spirit of God?  We expect the Lord God to inhabit a place that is
already filled with the garbage from this world!  Envy, bitterness, anger, pride, conceit,
are just a few of the spiritual dust bunnies that are filling the corners of our hearts.  The
verse above from 1 Timothy talks about purging ourselves from the dishonourable vessels
that are in our spiritual homes, so that we might be found fit for the Master's use. 

Romans 12:1 & 2  "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that
ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your
reasonable service.  And be not conformed to this world:  but be ye transformed
by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove, what is that good, and acceptable
and perfect will of God."  I would be embarrassed to death to welcome someone into
my home and present to them a dirty place to stay.  In the same manner, why are we not
ashamed to let the Holy God of the universe dwell in a body that is still conformed to
this evil world? 

Are you willing today to start a major spiritual housecleaning?  It's time to declutter the
living space of God! Get rid of those pesky dust bunnies that are rolling around in your
heart!  Are you willing to pray the prayer of the Psalmist in Psalms 51:7 & 10 today?
If you are, you will be able to present to the Lord God, a clean and sanctified heart,
ready for His use and prepared unto every good work!  "Purge me with hyssop, and
I shall be clean:  wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.  Create in me a clean
heart, O God:  and renew a right spirit within me."

Search Me, O God
 
Search me, O God, and know my heart today;
Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts I pray.
See if there be some wicked way in me;
Cleanse me from every sin, and set me free.
 
I praise Thee, Lord, for cleansing me from sin;
Fulfill Thy Word, and make me pure within.
Fill me with fire, where once I burned with shame;
Grant my desire to magnify Thy name.
 
Lord, take my life, and make it wholly Thine;
Fill all my heart with Thy great love divine.
Take all my will, my passion, self and pride;
I now surrender, Lord, in me abide.
 
                                           J. Edwin Orr

No comments:

Post a Comment