Saturday, November 22, 2014

Minute Musings...Forgiveness

I know that turning the other cheek is not as easy as it sounds.  It is very hard to take the
lies, unfairness, maliciousness, bullying and not to retaliate back against it.  Yet this is
exactly what the Christian is suppose to do. 

Matthew 6:27 - 29  "But I (Jesus) say unto you which hear, love your enemies, do
good to them which hate you, bless them that curse you, and pray for them which
despitefully use you.  And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek, offer also
the other:  and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also."

The phrase, "to turn the other cheek" does not in any means imply pacifism.  It is not
saying that we put ourselves in any danger.  This is not referring to criminal or military
action either.  What is being talked about in this passage is personal retaliation against
someone that has done something against you as an individual.  As a child of God we
are to respond to hatred with love.  This is hard isn't it!  Our old nature rears up inside,
demanding justice for the injustice done against us.  The world would respond back with
hatred, but this is not the way of God.

Matthew 6:35 & 36  "But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for
nothing again:  and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the
Highest:  for He is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.  Be ye therefore merciful
as your Father also is merciful."

The only reason we need to return hatred with love and kindness is because it is the
example of our Lord and Savior, Luke 23:34  "Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them,
for they know not what they do."  These words were spoken by the crucified Lord, just
before He died on the cross of Calvary.  We as well, have been shown this same mercy and
love by God when we deserved death because of our sin.  We, in turn need to show this same
love and mercy to those who sin against us. 

I struggled with this for a few years.  Someone had been malicious to me for years, and
my bitterness and anger at the way I had been treated had slowly turned into hate for this
person.  One day I was thinking about Jesus on the cross and how He could forgive those
who had so viciously beaten Him, and then nailed Him to that old rugged cross.  I finally
saw that forgiveness against this person really had nothing to do with what they had done
to me;  in fact it had nothing to do with them.  Forgiveness was simply my obedience to
what Christ was asking of me.  When I took that person out of the equation, forgiveness
came swiftly.  I also started praying for this person, and the Lord delivered me from anger
and bitterness that had corrupted my heart and soul for years. 

Our response to these kinds of situations can either draw a person to Christ or push them
away.  What kind of testimony are you being?  Are you following the Lord's example of
forgiveness, or are you harboring these hurts and letting them fester and turn into anger
and bitterness in your life?  When you focus on what the Lord has done for you, it's easy
to reflect it to others.  Colossians 3:13  "Forbearing one another, and forgiving one
another, if any man have a quarrel against any:  even as Christ forgave you, so also
do ye."

Show me how to love the unlovable,
Show me how to reach the unreachable,
Help me now to do the impossible,
Forgiveness, forgiveness;
Help me now to do the impossible,
Forgiveness, forgiveness.
 
                                                 Matthew West

No comments:

Post a Comment