Friday, November 7, 2014

Minute Musings...Thirsty for God

Psalms 37:4 & 5  "Delight thyself also in the LORD:  and He shall give thee the
desires of thine heart.  Commit thy way unto the LORD:  trust also in Him:  and
He shall bring it to pass."

I want to take a quick look today at two verses that are often misinterpreted.  There
are a lot of people that read these verses with this understanding, "He shall give thee
the desires of thine heart.  He shall bring it to pass."  Do you see what is wrong?  Key
parts to these two verses are left out of peoples reasoning. 

This is not an open promise that we will have the desires of our heart.  A heart that is
not rooted and focused on the Lord will not have Godly desires.  The key is that we
must delight ourselves in the Lord.  When we delight in the Lord, we will be filled with
the Holy Spirit;  our thoughts will not be taken up with worldly pursuits and ambitions.
Our sole desire will be in pleasing God and bringing glory and praise to Him through
our lives.  When we delight in the Lord, our heart will be lined up with His will and
our desires will be in accordance with His Word. 

Psalms 42:1 & 2b  "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul
after Thee, O God.  My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God:"  What are you
thirsting after?  If your heart is thirsting after the things of this world, then don't expect
God to give you these desires.  The Apostle Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 15:34 "Awake
to righteousness, and sin not:"  Our first desire needs to be to live Godly, we need to
have a yearning for God..."My soul thirsteth for God,"  What we feed on is what we
will develop a thirst for.  Are you feeding on the Word of God, or are you feeding on the
waste of this world? 

As we feed on the Word of God, and develop a thirst for God, our desires will line up
with His will.  When we desire what is good and profitable for us, God will bring it to
pass in our lives.  The outcome is dependant on the lining up of the proper order of
things. 

Are you frustrated today because things don't seem to be going your way?  Are you
asking the Lord for things that are not in accordance with His will?  Stop and check
what your heart is thirsting after.  Colossians 1:18b  "That in all things He might
have the pre-eminence."

My Hearts Prayer
 
Humbly at Thy cross I'd stay,
Jesus, keep me there I pray;
Teach me more of Thee each day,
Jesus blessed Jesus.
 
Grant me wisdom, grace and power,
Lord, I need Thee every hour;
Let my will be lost in Thine,
Jesus, blessed Jesus.
 
Savior, Thou hast heard my plea,
Thou art near, so near to me;
Now I feel Thy strengthening power,
Jesus, blessed Jesus.
 
                                         H.P. Blanchard

No comments:

Post a Comment