Saturday, November 1, 2014

Minute Musings...Snowflakes

The first snow of the year is falling today.  I love the look of freshly fallen snow, it's so
white and pretty.  Do you know how a snowflake is formed?  A snowflake forms when
an extremely cold water droplet freezes onto a pollen or dust particle in the sky!  So
basically, at the core of a white snowflake is dirt;  but this dirt becomes hidden from
view as the water freezes layer upon layer over it.  . 

Isaiah 1:18  "Come now, and let us reason together saith the LORD:  though your
sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow;"

We were born sinners.  Our core..our heart is black with sin.  I've mentioned before
how you do not have to teach a baby to throw a temper tantrum, or a youngster how
to lie or cheat.  It says in Psalms 51:5  "Behold, I was shapen in iniquity:" Don't
let anyone fool you into believing that we are born good, that simply is not so!

As sinners, we are wretched and unclean before a holy, sinless and just God.  It talks
about the holiness of God in Isaiah 57:15a  "For thus saith the high and lofty One
that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy:"  God is holy...we are sinners, so how
do we fix this?  We don't, God already did!  1 Peter 3:18  "For Christ also hath once
more suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being
put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit." 

The eternal remedy for our sinful condition has been taken care of.  Jesus gave Himself
in our place, He paid the price required by law for sin...death.  Romans 6:23  "For the
wages of sin is death:  but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our
Lord."  We have been redeemed  "The precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without
blemish and without spot:"  1 Peter 1:19.  There is a children's Sunday School chorus
that begins with these words, "My heart was black with sin, until the Savior came in.
His precious blood I know has washed me white as snow..."

Just as the water droplets freeze and cover the speck of dirt that is the heart of the white
snowflake, so has the blood of Christ covered our sins before a holy God.  Ephesians
1:7  "In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins,
according to the riches of His grace."  All we need to do is to accept this free gift of
salvation that is offered to us by a loving, gracious and forgiving God, and our sins will
be covered, "They shall be as white as snow."

The next time you look to the sky and watch the gently falling snow, let it remind you of
our precious Savior and His sacrifice for you;  which in God's eyes makes your sins no
longer scarlet, but as white as snow!

Whiter Than Snow
 
Lord Jesus, I long to be perfectly whole;
I want Thee forever to live in my soul;
Break down every idol, cast out every foe,
Now wash me and I shall be whiter than snow.
 
Lord Jesus, look down from Thy throne in the skies,
And help me to make a complete sacrifice;
I give up myself, and whatever I know,
Now wash me and I shall be whiter than snow.
 
Lord Jesus for this I most humbly entreat,
I wait, blessed Lord at Thy crucified feet;
By faith for my cleansing, I see Thy blood flow,
Now wash me and I shall be whiter than snow.
 
Lord Jesus, Thou see-est I patiently wait,
Come now, and within me a new heart create;
To those who have sought Thee, Thou never saidest No,
Now wash me and I shall be whiter than snow.
 
Whiter than snow, yes, whiter than snow,
Now wash me and I shall be whiter than snow.
 
                                              James Nicholson

No comments:

Post a Comment