Thursday, January 22, 2015

Minute Musings...Detours

Psalms 43:3  "O send out Thy light and Thy truth:  let them lead me; let them bring
me unto Thy holy hill, and to Thy tabernacles."

I don't know about you, but I do not like detours!  They take you from off the road that
you know will get you to your destination, and you end up in unfamiliar territory, unsure
of where you are.  There a detours in our spiritual journey as well.  However unlike the
detours we are used to, that take us around unknown obstacles in the distance, these
spiritual detours lead to downfall and ruin. 

When we are saved we enter into a journey that the Bible explains is narrow and straight.
Matthew 7:13 & 14  "Enter ye in at the strait gate:  for wide is the gate and broad
is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 
Because strait is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life, and few
there be that find it."  We have one destination, Glory!  Now, God has many different
experiences for each of His children, many different paths for each of us, but our road is
straight, leading to our eternal home.  Trouble comes when we think that we can take a
short cut, a detour from God's planned way. 

If you've never read the book, "Pilgrims Progress" by Helen L. Taylor ( adapted from
John Bunyan's classic work ), I would encourage you to find a copy and read it.  I read
it many times as a child, and still enjoy reading it today!  In it we find the story of the
little pilgrim, "Christian" who is on is journey to the Celestial City.  He only runs into
problems when He leaves the Kings narrow path he is traveling on, and wanders off
onto roads that promise a quicker route or better conditions.  Getting into serious danger
is the result of his detours.

We too will suffer untold dangers when we think in our own wisdom that we know a
better way than the Lord's.  When we think we know better than God, we abandon His
promised divine guidance for our journey.  Psalms 32:8  "I will instruct thee and
teach thee in the way which thou shalt go:  I will guide thee with mine eye."  God\s
judgment and guidance is righteous;  why would we choose to go off on our own,
trusting in our own flawed wisdom?

Determine today to follow God's way.  His way is the only way to true joy and peace
on this journey home.  Psalms 86:11  "Teach me Thy way, O LORD;  I will walk
in Thy truth:  unite my heart to fear Thy name."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IobmadIh1c

Each Step I Take
 
Each step I take my Savior goes before me,
And with His loving hand He leads the way.
And with each breath I whisper, "I adore,"
O what joy to walk with Him each day.
 
At times I feel my faith begin to waver,
When up ahead I see a chasm wide;
It's then I turn and look up at my Savior,
I am strong when He is by my side.
 
I trust in God, no matter come what may,
For life eternal is in His hand.
He holds the key that opens up the way,
That will lead me to the promised land.
 
Each step I take I know that He will guide me,
To higher ground, He ever leads me on.
Until someday the last step will be taken,
Each step I take, just leads me closer home.
 
                                                                           W. Elmo Mercer


No comments:

Post a Comment