Monday, January 26, 2015

Minute Musings...The Master's Touch

 The Touch Of The Master's Hand
 
Twas battered and scarred, and the auctioneer
thought it scarcely worth his while to waste much time on the old violin,
but held it up with a smile; "What am I bidden, good folks," he cried,
"Who'll start the bidding for me?" "A dollar, a dollar"; then two!" "Only
two? Two dollars, and who'll make it three? Three dollars, once; three
dollars twice; going for three.." But no, from the room, far back, a
gray-haired man came forward and picked up the bow; Then, wiping the dust
from the old violin, and tightening the loose strings, he played a melody
pure and sweet as caroling angel sings.

The music ceased, and the auctioneer, with a voice that was quiet and low,
said; "What am I bid for the old violin?" And he held it up with the bow.
A thousand dollars, and who'll make it two? Two thousand! And who'll make
it three? Three thousand, once, three thousand, twice, and going and
gone," said he. The people cheered, but some of them cried, "We do not
quite understand what changed its worth." Swift came the reply: "The touch
of a master's hand."

And many a man with life out of tune, and battered and scarred with sin,
Is auctioned cheap to the thoughtless crowd, much like the old violin, A
"mess of pottage," a glass of wine; a game - and he travels on. "He is
going" once, and "going twice, He's going and almost gone." But the Master
comes, and the foolish crowd never can quite understand the worth of a soul
and the change that's wrought by the touch of the Master's hand.
 
Myra Brooks Welch
 
This poem "The Touch Of The Master's Hand" has been one of my favorites for
years.  It depicts so clearly the change that occurs when the Master's hand is
applied to a situation.  There are many instances in the Bible where we find recorded
cases where Jesus, the Master, applied His touch and lives were changed.  Here are
just a couple.
 
Man cleansed of leprosy - Matthew 8:2 & 3  "And, behold, there came a leper
and worshipped Him, saying, Lord, if Thou wilt, Thou canst make me clean.
And Jesus put forth His hand, and touched him saying, I will; be thou clean.
And immediately his leprosy was cleansed."
 
Peter's mother-in-law, sick with fever - Matthew 8:14 & 15  "And when Jesus
was come into Peter's house, He saw his wife's mother laid, and sick of a fever.
And He touched her hand, and the fever left her:  and she arose, and ministered
unto them."
 
The touch of the Master's hand brought healing.  The Gospel is filled with stories
of the people who were healed by the touch of Jesus.  As miraculous as these healings
were, there is still a greater miracle that occurs when Jesus touches a heart.  Only
His touch can bring spiritual healing to a sin sick soul.  His touch heals the heart that
was crippled with sin.  Isaiah 53:5  "But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities:  the chastisement of our peace was upon Him;
and with His stripes we are healed."
 
Have you felt the Master's touch on your life?  There is no other touch in the
universe that can change the direction of your soul.  Psalms 41:4  "I said, LORD,
be merciful unto me:  heal my soul;  for I have sinned against Thee." 
 
He Touched Me
 
Shackled by a heavy burden,
'Neath a load of guilt and shame;
Then the hand of Jesus touched me,
And now I am no longer the same.
 
Since I met this blessed Savior,
Since He cleansed and made me whole;
I will never cease to praise Him,
I'll shout it while eternity rolls.
 
He touched me, O, He touched me,
And O, the joy that floods my soul;
Something happened, and now I know,
He touched me, and made me whole.
 
                                           Bill and Gloria Gaither

No comments:

Post a Comment