Thursday, January 15, 2015

Minute Musings...Resting

Here is another wonderful quote from Corrie ten Boom.  "If you look at the world, you'll
be distressed.  If you look within, you'll be depressed.  If you look at God,  you'll be at
rest." 

Our eyes are a gateway.  What we allow into them will affect our outlook.  The world has
absolutely nothing to offer the child of God.  It is full of sin...deceit, fornication, strife,
discontent, unlawfulness, and the list goes on and on.  Why would a Christian spend their
time looking at the things of this world? 

1 John 2:15 & 16  "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world.  If
any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  For all that is the world,
the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father,
but is of the world."  There is a song that was penned by Lanny Wolfe that goes like this,

"The world may try to satisfy that longing in your soul,
You may search the wide world over, but you'll be just as before;
You'll never find true satisfaction, until you've found the Lord,
For only Jesus can satisfy your soul."

What do we find when we look within?  We find that we are sinners, not worthy to lift
our eyes to God.  We have nothing good in us that would compel the Lord God of the
universe to think on us.  There is nothing we can cling to, we have no righteousness to
claim as our own.  Looking at ourselves and our sin can depress us!  So we need to turn
our gaze upon the One who holds the answer for our sin condition, our only source of
help comes from above!

Isaiah 64:6  "But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are
as filthy rags:  and we all do fade as a leaf;  and our iniquities, like the wind,
have taken us away."

So we can't look around us, we can't look within us...that leaves looking up, up at our
wonderful Lord and Savior!  When we gaze upon Him, take in His beauty, majesty,
greatness, love, grace and mercy, the things that would distress and depress fade
away.

Hebrews 12:2  "Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith:"  If we
want to experience the rest of the Lord, then we must keep our eyes on Jesus.  Matthew
11:28  "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you
rest." 

Where is your gaze today?  To be at rest in the Lord you must be gazing upon Him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3MU8hDu0co

Jesus, I Am Resting, Resting
 
Jesus, I am resting, resting, in the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness of Thy loving heart.
Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee, and Thy beauty fills my soul,
For by Thy transforming power, Thou hast made me whole.
 
O how great Thy loving kindness, vaster, broader than the sea!
O how marvelous Thy goodness, lavished all on me!
Yes, I rest in Thee, Beloved, know what wealth of grace is Thine,
Know Thy certainty of promise, and have made it mine.
 
Simply trusting Thee, Lord Jesus, I behold Thee as Thou art,
And Thy love, so pure, so changeless, satisfies my heart;
Satisfies its deepest longings, meets, supplies its every need,
Compasseth me round with blessings, Thine is love indeed!
 
Ever lift Thy face upon me as I work and wait for Thee;
Resting 'neath Thy smile, Lord Jesus, earth's dark shadows flee.
Brightness of my Father's glory, sunshine of my Father's face,
Keep me ever trusting, resting, fill me with Thy grace.
 
                                          Jean S. Pigott


 


No comments:

Post a Comment